Preferred HTPC Ethernet Connection

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Preferred HTPC Ethernet Connection

Post by mldenison » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 pm

I have my HTPC, two ETH tuners, Asus RT-AC3100 router (using an Xfinity cable model in bridge mode) and an HP 1810-24G smart switch.

I'm trying to decide the optimum connection of all components.

Right now, I have the router connected to the switch for other devices that require Internet access. The other 3 ports on the router are open.

The HTPC and two ETH tuners connect to the switch. The switch also connects to a Netgear MOCA device so that two other TV's in the house can access HTPC WMC for Recorded TV and Live TV.

Would I experience better HTPC performance connecting it and the two ETH tuners to the router instead? This might let me try QOS on these devices but I'm not sure if that would be a benefit or a detriment.

Any comments?
Thanks

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I have connected it both ways mentioned and never noticed a difference. But I do keep my 2 PCs and the ETH6 on the same Ethernet device. It even works fine on a $20 dumb gig switch. Gig Ethernet is not the weak link in our setups.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks. I won't waste my time then trying a different connection. My setup is pretty much trouble free. I do, and always have, get a brief 1 - 2 second pixelation and audio drop a few times in each recorded show. I have been getting frustrated with this and can't seem to pin down the cause.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:05 pm

mldenison wrote:Thanks. I won't waste my time then trying a different connection. My setup is pretty much trouble free. I do, and always have, get a brief 1 - 2 second pixelation and audio drop a few times in each recorded show. I have been getting frustrated with this and can't seem to pin down the cause.
Mine was doing that when I first moved to a new house. It was the cable signal strength. It is pretty easy to monitor in the Ceton web page. All my issues were either heat or signal strength. The Ceton sits on a fan now. Comcast re-wired the line to my house and raised the signal to my entire street to fix the signal issues. They actually were pretty helpful.