InfiniTV 6ETH Pixelates when WiFi or Internet Traffic Exists

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cwinfield

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cwinfield » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:29 pm

clockwiseq wrote:
RyC wrote:I just went through a similar issue when I moved to a new house. Unfortunately, it was a signal issue that needed a tech from Comcast to come out while the problem was happening. Do you remember what the upstream power of the modem was when you were testing?
I have to play stupid, I don't know what that is. I know Comcast remotely tested my signal strength and it seemed to be fine. I ran internet speed tests and I am consistently getting 182Mb/s down and 28Mb/s up, so I'm assuming it's not a "loss" of signal. How do I check the upstream power of the modem?
type 192.168.100.1 in your address bar and go to signal

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:36 pm

cwinfield wrote:
clockwiseq wrote:
RyC wrote:I just went through a similar issue when I moved to a new house. Unfortunately, it was a signal issue that needed a tech from Comcast to come out while the problem was happening. Do you remember what the upstream power of the modem was when you were testing?
I have to play stupid, I don't know what that is. I know Comcast remotely tested my signal strength and it seemed to be fine. I ran internet speed tests and I am consistently getting 182Mb/s down and 28Mb/s up, so I'm assuming it's not a "loss" of signal. How do I check the upstream power of the modem?
type 192.168.100.1 in your address bar and go to signal
Only problem with that is that my address space is 10.0.0.0/16, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect to my modem that way. Or will I? Will I need to hard-wire directly to the modem?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:50 pm

type 192.168.100.1 in your address bar and go to signal[/quote]

Only problem with that is that my address space is 10.0.0.0/16, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect to my modem that way. Or will I? Will I need to hard-wire directly to the modem?[/quote]

my network is on 10.100.1.1 and it works. Did you try it?

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm

cwinfield wrote:my network is on 10.100.1.1 and it works. Did you try it?
I won't be able to test it until I get home this afternoon. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help by the way!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:12 pm

your welcome. I suggest you follow the directions in this post and look at your cetons signal levels: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 406#p99406

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Sorry about that. When you borrowed a signal meter and it said the signal was perfect, what was it measuring?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:29 pm

It depends on where you measured the signal. Tap from the pole, in the house, modem, etc. Ceton tuners in my experience have different power levels depending on which frequency the channels use from each independent tuner. Home runs seem less susceptible to these signal degradation issues. You might have a problem on a specific tuner or a signal band that is intermittent.

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:57 am

I replaced a splitter in the attic (2-way) that was identical to what was there and trimmed some excess copper that was protruding a little too far (caused my last signal issue with my cable modem) and reconnected everything. I then took power levels with the system idle (no internet nor LAN activity or at least very little). I then took power levels with my daughter FaceTiming with one of her friends while playing Minecraft which always seems to cause the issue. I then started to record 6 shows at once and had her connect to FaceTime as well as start a Minecraft session and no pixelation.

Now, before I say the problem is resolved, I will have to let it stay on for a day and then recheck the power levels because I replaced the switch the other day and the issue cleared up, but then returned the following evening.

This is while idle:

This is while FaceTime and Minecraft was running:

This was while FaceTime, Minecraft, and recording 4 shows:

This was while FaceTime, Minecraft, and recording 6 shows:

This was the internet speed while all of that was going on (same machine):

Like I said, I won't call it fixed until tomorrow evening (primetime TV) while all of this is happening again. If no pixelation, I'll say that you're recommendation of a new splitter was superb!

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:25 am

Did not resolve the issue. If I unplug everything and boot it all back up, the issue is resolved for 24 hours. Then it pixelates again with internet traffic. I installed a brand new splitter and a new switch with QoS and that didn't make a difference. At this point, I think it's a ghost in the machine. I submitted a ticket with Ceton to see if they can help at all.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:39 am

cwinfield wrote:your welcome. I suggest you follow the directions in this post and look at your cetons signal levels: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 406#p99406
I would follow this link and run all ceton signals and see if you have a tv signal issue. Your internet traffic would unlikely effect this. Unless your switch has a really small buffer it is unlikely as well. You may find that you might need the ETH on your first drop or a small amp. It appears that you don't have a switch so that is one less thing to eliminate. A thing you may want to look into is that your ethernet properties advanced settings that 802.3az EEE is disabled as it is incompatible with your ETH and can cause this sort of issue, also speed is at 1Gbs or auto if it isn't listed.

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm

No response from Ceton in 4 days now. I decided that working in the attic was not a time-efficient way of handling these issues, so I but a barrel on the end of my feed and now have just the 1 feed to my wire closet. Now, I can run tests on the 1 line and I have installed an old splitter I had sitting in a box (6-way 1GHz) and to my amazement, I haven't seen the pixelation in 2 days now. I also went back to one of my old switches (Monoprice 8-port Gigabit) and all seems well now. I'm betting it was the splitter, but don't know why a new splitter (same as the one that was there - 2-way 2GHz splitter) would cause the issue, but it is definitely different now. I will take power levels and upload them here and maybe you guys can see the difference. Also, I was walking through Lowes yesterday and saw a 2-way they had and read the fine print on the splitter itself and it said it was one of those MoCA splitters. What the hell is that and I have read negative things about them. Could something like that affect my signal? If so, maybe the old splitter I put back in place is not MoCA and it's working fine now.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:34 pm

clockwiseq wrote:No response from Ceton in 4 days now. I decided that working in the attic was not a time-efficient way of handling these issues, so I but a barrel on the end of my feed and now have just the 1 feed to my wire closet. Now, I can run tests on the 1 line and I have installed an old splitter I had sitting in a box (6-way 1GHz) and to my amazement, I haven't seen the pixelation in 2 days now. I also went back to one of my old switches (Monoprice 8-port Gigabit) and all seems well now. I'm betting it was the splitter, but don't know why a new splitter (same as the one that was there - 2-way 2GHz splitter) would cause the issue, but it is definitely different now. I will take power levels and upload them here and maybe you guys can see the difference. Also, I was walking through Lowes yesterday and saw a 2-way they had and read the fine print on the splitter itself and it said it was one of those MoCA splitters. What the heck is that and I have read negative things about them. Could something like that affect my signal? If so, maybe the old splitter I put back in place is not MoCA and it's working fine now.
Sounds like your on the right track. MOCA operating frequency to 500-1625 MHz so if it is filtering out tv signals outside that range it was likely causing you an issue. MOCA is multimedia over cable alliance which will let you use coax for Ethernet. It operates outside of TV and cable modems operating frequency so it will not interfere and can coexist with those signals. It can allow you to use your existing coax distribution for networking instead of running Cat 5/6.