Thinking of changing cable card tuners

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thinking of changing cable card tuners

Post by lurch66 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:28 pm

I currently have a infiniTV4 pcie. I was thinking of getting a infinitv6 eht but they are no longer available from Newegg or Amazon. How is the support from Ceton as they no longer sell the product? Is it time to switch to hd homerun prime? They are still for sale new. How is there support? Only thing I don't like is having only 3 tuners. In general are the homerun prime tuners reliable?

Thanks for the input.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri May 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Yes get a Prime, Ceton is all but dead unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri May 13, 2016 5:41 pm

lurch66 wrote: How is the support from Ceton as they no longer sell the product?
Is it time to switch to hd homerun prime?
They are still for sale new. How is there support?
In general are the homerun prime tuners reliable?

Thanks for the input.
Abysmal.
Yes.
Good.
Yes.

You're welcome.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Fri May 13, 2016 5:45 pm

HDHomerun Prime has been flawless for me. Yes, the three tuners is a bit of a disadvantage compared to other products but you learn to live with it because it works so well. Support is great and firmware is constantly updated.

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 13, 2016 7:13 pm

When I was looking for the best cable card tuner a couple years ago, the choices were Ceton or SiliconDust. After research, it was a no-brainer to go with SiliconDust due to it's reliability and support (there were lots of reports of problems with some Ceton products). Even though the extra tuner would have been helpful (I occasionally can't record something due to no tuner available), I am glad I went with the HDHomerun Prime due to its incredible dependability. I have never had a problem with it and it works flawlessly even with my cheap/old 100mbps router/switch.

I frankly think both companies are in trouble with the way the industry appears to be heading but Ceton seems to be feeling it the most right now and apparently is close to dead. I don't know how SiliconDust will fare, but at least for now they seem to be healthier than Ceton.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat May 14, 2016 9:08 pm

SiliconDust is trying to adapt to the death of WMC by developing their own DRM-capable DVR software. Though it may fall short of being a full WMC replacement, it's at least a start - and could provide SD enough to generate sales to replace what they've lost when Microsoft pulled the plug on WMC.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:HDHomerun Prime has been flawless for me. Yes, the three tuners is a bit of a disadvantage compared to other products but you learn to live with it because it works so well. Support is great and firmware is constantly updated.
Same for me. I had three Ceton InfiniTV 6 units (2 internal 1 external) and I finally just gave up once Erik disappeared and it was clear no more updates were coming. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty on my first PCIe 6 and turned it in for $300 store credit at Newegg. It was the week the Prime was on sale for $112. For a few extra bucks out of my pocket I purchased three Prime's. Then my brother gave me a fourth one he wasn't using so it all worked out.

I'm super happy I made the switch. The tuners are rock solid! When an error pops up now you can rest assured it's a REAL problem and not a tuner caused issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:38 pm

kd6icz wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:HDHomerun Prime has been flawless for me. Yes, the three tuners is a bit of a disadvantage compared to other products but you learn to live with it because it works so well. Support is great and firmware is constantly updated.
Same for me. I had three Ceton InfiniTV 6 units (2 internal 1 external) and I finally just gave up once Erik disappeared and it was clear no more updates were coming. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty on my first PCIe 6 and turned it in for $300 store credit at Newegg. It was the week the Prime was on sale for $112. For a few extra bucks out of my pocket I purchased three Prime's. Then my brother gave me a fourth one he wasn't using so it all worked out.

I'm super happy I made the switch. The tuners are rock solid! When an error pops up now you can rest assured it's a REAL problem and not a tuner caused issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Funny, I have Infinty6 and had a 4 before that, I had an issue about 2 months ago, a email to CETON, took a day or 2 but, I got support and the problem was taken care of within 24 hours. Some quick logs and it was fixed. Been running them for a long time, besides a weekly reboot (scripted out, and MY CHOICE, not because I was having issues), it's been almost bullet proof.

The HDR option is only 3 tuners. The Ceton 6 tuners. So if you get a Working Infinity6 and you don't have any issues, why not live with it ? I still use it every day, it's VERY rare that I have an issue. I have the PCIe version and I share it over my local network (using Win10 WMC on my office machine) that when ever I start up WMC on my office machine, I get live TV 99.9% of the time.

The ONLY problem with the HDR is if you want more than 3 tuners, you need to get a 2nd HDR device and if your using cablecard, that comes with a monthly fee (Comcast here is first cablecard free, 2nd is $1.50 a month)

I personally would have no issues suggesting a Ceton device to someone.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Been running Ceton InfiniTV4 for over 5 years without issue. I added a 2nd one last year so now I have 8 tuners. Drivers and firmware work fine. Two cards next to each other get hot (>65C) so I installed a quiet fan and problem solved. Used ones can be found on Ebay. InfiniTV4 + network tuning + Windows 7 is ultimate package if you are technically savvy. Every Windows 7 computer in my house can "borrow" a Ceton tuner from the HTPC. Ceton drivers include software to unlock WMC for more than 6 tuners. Have not seen a better solution yet including the 6 tuner version of this card.