Tuning adapter causing issue with PC

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning adapter causing issue with PC

Post by lurch66 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 pm

I have a InfiniTV 4 with cisco tuning adapter.

I am having an issue where anytime I plug in the usb from my cisco tuning adapter my computer will freeze up, ir remote hooked to usb ir receiver will not control windows media center, programs will not close and the computer will not restart. I have tried 3 different tuning adapters, usb cables and power cords for the adapter. In addition I have reinstalled the ceton drivers for the tuning adapter. If I leave it unplugged the pc runes fine other than the obvious no switched channels.

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:14 am

lurch66 wrote:I have a InfiniTV 4 with cisco tuning adapter.

I am having an issue where anytime I plug in the usb from my cisco tuning adapter my computer will freeze up, ir remote hooked to usb ir receiver will not control windows media center, programs will not close and the computer will not restart. I have tried 3 different tuning adapters, usb cables and power cords for the adapter. In addition I have reinstalled the ceton drivers for the tuning adapter. If I leave it unplugged the PC runes fine other than the obvious no switched channels.

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I think you might need the USB Hotfix from the Ceton WebSite.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... provements

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 am

Thanks I try that.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:57 pm

No dice. When trying to install windows states not compatible with this pc. I have a support ticket in with Ceton so we will see what they advise. Thanks again

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:16 am

How many groups of USB inputs do you have on the PC and what speeds are they?

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:30 am

4 usb 2 on back of motherboard
2 usb 3 on back of motherboard
2 usb 2 ports on front of computer connected to usb 2 header on motherboard
2 usb 3 ports on expansion card connected to usb 3 motherboard header

markyr17

Post by markyr17 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 am

And you've tried the tuning adapter on all ports on your PC, right?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:58 pm

lurch66 wrote:
(1) 4 usb 2 on back of motherboard
(2) 2 usb 3 on back of motherboard
(3) 2 usb 2 ports on front of computer connected to usb 2 header on motherboard
(4) 2 usb 3 ports on expansion card connected to usb 3 motherboard header
So you have two choices for the TA and the Remote Receiver to connect to (1) or (3).

If you disconnect all USB devices..... Does the remote work correctly when it is the only device connected, and does it work in both (1) or (3) .....if it doesn't work, what error pops up (beside the clock) when you plug it in?

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Also if any of your USB ports have separate drivers, make sure they are up to date.

I remember that when I hooked up a USB 3.0 drive to my system I was only getting 1.1 speeds until I updated to the latest drivers. Also my system would occasionally freeze when plugging in a USB mouse to the USB 2.0 port on the front of the machine, but after updating the USB 3.0 drivers (Asmedia) that problem seemed to go away (even though the drivers were for the USB 3.0 ports only and had nothing to do with these 2.0 ports).

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:36 am

all other usb devices work regardless of what usb port they are plugged into when the adapter is not plugged in (front and back) including the ir remote. I have tried the adapter both by itself and with others. It is only when I introduce the adapter that things go south. I have never received an error message as of yet. I will look on msi's site to see if they have any updates for my motherboard. Thanks for working through this. Good to have a second set of eyes.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:15 am

I updated to the latest usb 3 drivers and now it only does it when resuming from sleep. At least there is progress. The wife and kids are watching all the copy protected content this week and I will do a clean install of the OS and hope for the best.

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 17, 2016 4:43 am

One other thing you should check is if there are more current USB drivers that may not be linked to your motherboards support page.

For instance, for my older motherboard, they have the AsMedia Version 1.16.12.0 USB 3.0 drivers available on the motherboard support page, however if I search just for AsMedia USB 3.0 drivers, I find Version 1.16.16.0 is available on the vendors page. Since the versioning looks similar (just a few increments from the driver version on the motherboard page) they are most likely compatible. You can make an image of your system drive (or just take a System Restore Snapshot) and try installing these later drivers to see if it fixes your problem.

Of course, I am just using AsMedia as an example, you would have to look for the drivers for whatever USB 3.0 vendor your PC is using.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 am

Crash2009 wrote:
lurch66 wrote:
(1) 4 usb 2 on back of motherboard
(2) 2 usb 3 on back of motherboard
(3) 2 usb 2 ports on front of computer connected to usb 2 header on motherboard
(4) 2 usb 3 ports on expansion card connected to usb 3 motherboard header
I think the reason the problem has been so elusive is that there might be 2 problems (Part A and Part B).....Sometimes 1 driver can fix 2 problems, but I don't think you will be so lucky. Lets simplify this by going back to troubleshooting basics.

Part A

1) Disconnect 3 and 4 from the motherboard header
2) Test all your USB inputs/devices
3) If something doesn't work update the MB drivers.
4) Test again
5) Try different drivers, contact the MFG, contact the VENDOR, etc. until all USB inputs work properly.

Part B

Find the model number on the expansion card connected to usb 3 motherboard header
Go to the MFG website and see if there are any additional drivers, necessary BIOS settings, or if the expansion card needs a particular MB header.

BTW, I have experienced the same thing that Space just explained...