Hypothetical Network Tuner Sharing scenario

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Sancho

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hypothetical Network Tuner Sharing scenario

Post by Sancho » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Greetings.

I've got two HTPCs each with an InfiniTV 4. PC 1 is wired to the LAN, PC 2 has an Archer T6E (AC 1300). PC 3 also has an Archer T6E (AC 1300). The wireless PCs (2 & 3) currently share tuners (2 each). That setup has been in effect for years. Previously I ran older 'N' 450 TP-Links through an Asus RT-N66U on the 5 GHz band and it was rock solid. I recently upgrade my Internet package to 800 Mbps, which necessitated getting a new modem, router (Asus RT-AC86U) and the aforementioned wireless AC NICs.

One problem I've noticed is random pixelation on the non-host PC (3). No problems on the host PC (2). Signals and speeds are strong on both PCs 2 & 3 (I keep the adapters' Status windows open to look for signal and/or speed fluctuations). If I create an ad hoc network for PCs 2 & 3, I can get a clean signal for a 3 hour hockey game (HD); no Internet then, of course, and a PITA to utilize. The Asus was just added to the mix yesterday (replacing a Motorola MR 2600; it's OK, but lesson learned). The Motorola reliable produced the pixelation, and does not have a robust set of features. The Asus was updated with the latest Merlin firmware before I set up and installed it. I've tweaked a few settings, and will give it a test tonight. There are other 5 GHz APs in the neighborhood, but WiFi Info View shows them with weak signals. Still a channel change may be in order. I also ditched my ancient 5.8 GHz phone for a 1.9 GHz.

This got me thinking: what if I share one tuner from PC 1 (wired) and only one from PC 2 (wireless)? Would PC 3 be able to select both those tuners? If so, how could I control which tuner got used?

As I say, this is a hypothetical scenario. Even if it were possible, if the problem persists, I may just switch to sharing one tuner from PC 1 and see how that goes. I rarely record four things at once, and rarer still record two things at once on the client PC (3).

So, just spitballin'. Hopefully there are still a few hardcore Ceton geeks here :-)