Heavy Pixelation/Macroblocking only with Network Activity

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
volfan6415

HTPC Specs: Show details

Heavy Pixelation/Macroblocking only with Network Activity

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Ok so I have had an infini4 for awhile now ( have one of the original release cards) and it has worked really well. Recently however I have started to get really heavy macroblocking/pixelation and what can best be described as huge gray spots during live TV. The issue only occurs when there is high network activity on the PC.

For example i can start watching LiveTV with good picture and then start a torrent - issue crops up, the moment I stop the torrent and the traffic dies down the issue goes away.

I have done similar tests with , streaming media via mediabrowser server via the WAN, same issue.

local file transfers, streaming media via on the LAN - does not seem to exhibit the issue

My Comp Specs are

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 DDR3 1333 LGA 1155 Intel H67
Intel Core i5-2400
Crucial RealSSD C300 (OS)
2xWDEARS (Recorded TV)
LG WH10LS30K 10x Blu-ray Burner
Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe
Intel Gigabit CT Adapter
Ceton Infintv 4 (PCIe)
HD Home Run Dual
Windows 7 Ultimate

I do not see the pixelation on the HDHomerun Channels during the same test.

I have ruled out the hard drive
-one used the SSD to download the torrent to - same problem

I have not opened a ticket with Ceton yet wanted to post here first to see if anyone had had similar issues.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm

OK so i think my cable modem must be doing something to the signal. The issue also persists when i access my foscam IP camera from outside the network via the internet connection. Thus anytime there is significant internet traffic i get the significant artifacts in the signal. I have opened a ticket with Ceton.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Are you watching live tv on an extender or on the PC? The Infinitv4 would not use any Ethernet traffic to tune and display a channel but you might have a problem with a HD controller not handling the download as well as the live tv stream. If you're watching on an extender then network traffic is certainly going to be an issue but what I've observed is mainly stall and restart and not pixilation.

Since you've included the cable modem into the mix, there could be an "intrusion" problem or a multiple of the frequency of the cable modem is getting "tuned" as interference by the T4. Unplug the power to the cable modem and see if the problem disappears. If it does then there might be an issue with the modem OR if your in a TWC MAXX area they've moved frequencies around to bond up and down channels for faster speed and there might have been something developed there which they can determine (and hopefully filter out of the tv signal).

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:30 pm

I am watching TV on the HTPC no extenders here. I can reliably reproduce the issue when there is extensive "upload" traffic anywhere on my network onto the internet. I have unplugged the cable modem and the problem goes away.

I am on Cox in New Orleans and they recently "upgraded" all of their tiers to use DOSCIS 3.0 and doubled the internet speeds. This is a new problem so i suspect that there is some interference being introduced from the cable modem. I have opened a ticket with Ceton. I will post back once we have confirmed results.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Are you using Network Tuners? If so, disable Network Tuners and see if the issue persists.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Eric,

No i am not using network turners. I have copied the response from Ceton support below. Looks like I have a problem on cox's end. The splitter i am using is provided by cox. The line comes into the house and is split 3 ways - one to the cable modem one to the TA and one to the InfiniTV4, there are no uncapped terminals. I am not using any MoCA adapters.

Hi Zachary,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. We have reviewed your diagnostic, and see no issues with your InfiniTV hardware. Your signal levels are normal, and everything is up and running. However, we do see serious high demodulation errors on your coax line, this will cause serious Pixelization.

Possible causes:

1. Bad splitters
2. Bad coax cable somewhere in your topography
3. The use of MoCA adapters / Bad MoCA adapter
4. Cap your exposed coax outlet plugs. They sell little caps for them (The exposed coax outlets act as little annetas picking up interference, the caps close them off)
5. External interference from something outside
6. Cable company Issue, it can and will happen from time to time.
7. Bad Cable Modem (They can flood the line with noise)
8. Bad signal amplifier

Any device attached to your coax topography can cause noise on the line. With this much noise this indicates something is attached to the line is malfunctioning

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do but point you in the right direction. We do not see anything wrong with your InfiniTV and this is a very specific issue. Hopefully it's just a bad splitter, which it is most of the time.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:20 pm

I would suggest at this point you get Cox out and have them inspect for any intrusion into the system and if that's not a problem, then replace the cable modem. They might have a filter for the tv lines that will block the modem frequencies, so ask about that. Otherwise for the time being, you'd best not do downloads during your tv viewing or recording time.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:03 pm

What model modem/gateway? There are some models out there now with built in MoCA and some with built in wifi that sometimes need to be reoriented/moved a few inches and the problem goes away (though I think in our case you probably need a new modem). I have also seen the transformers (power supplies) put out errant signals... I had one for a switch that just needed to be plugged in (not even to a device, just the outlet) that disrupted caller id for my entire block.

As far as MoCA is concerned, keep in mind that cox's contour WHDVRs use moca and I have been increasingly seeing them cause issues in various complexes (apartment, condo) but rarely between "real" houses though possibly within one's own house if one happens to have one... including some getting the same boxes without WHDVR (in such cases they usually put the POE filter on the STB itself so MoCA never gets out of the box).

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 pm

signcarver wrote:What model modem/gateway? There are some models out there now with built in MoCA and some with built in wifi that sometimes need to be reoriented/moved a few inches and the problem goes away (though I think in our case you probably need a new modem). I have also seen the transformers (power supplies) put out errant signals... I had one for a switch that just needed to be plugged in (not even to a device, just the outlet) that disrupted caller id for my entire block.

As far as MoCA is concerned, keep in mind that cox's contour WHDVRs use moca and I have been increasingly seeing them cause issues in various complexes (apartment, condo) but rarely between "real" houses though possibly within one's own house if one happens to have one... including some getting the same boxes without WHDVR (in such cases they usually put the POE filter on the STB itself so MoCA never gets out of the box).
I have a motorola surfboard modem provided by Cox. I do not believe that it has wifi or built in MoCA. I have logged into the cable modem's device page and do not see any options listed for enabling wi-fi or MoCA. If you look (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =15&t=5597) (note the picture shows an older modem that has since been replaced) you can see pictures of where i have the cable modem wall-mounted in reference to the HTPC.

I also do not own and Cox HDDVR equipment. I am in a stand alone house, granted its New Orleans so my neighbors houses are about 8 feet apart on either side... this problem, however, is very recent and i have lived in the house for a year prior without seeing the issue. I am strongly inclined to believe that the cable modem is to blame. Either it is malfunctioning or putting out normal interference that merely needs to be compensated for.

I also want to note that i now feed the Ceton directly from the splitter as indicated above instead of through the TA as pictured in the above linked thread. Just thinking out loud - Would feeding the Ceton through the TA provide any protection from the interference the cable modem is causing? This would also allow me to switch from a three way splitter to a two way splitter and achieve some additional signal strength to my modem TA. Of course then I would be getting the singal drop from the TA to the Ceton but i did use to run it like this with adequate signals.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am

volfan6415 wrote:Eric,

No i am not using network turners. I have copied the response from Ceton support below. Looks like I have a problem on cox's end. The splitter i am using is provided by cox. The line comes into the house and is split 3 ways - one to the cable modem one to the TA and one to the InfiniTV4, there are no uncapped terminals. I am not using any MoCA adapters.

Hi Zachary,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. We have reviewed your diagnostic, and see no issues with your InfiniTV hardware. Your signal levels are normal, and everything is up and running. However, we do see serious high demodulation errors on your coax line, this will cause serious Pixelization.

Possible causes:

1. Bad splitters
2. Bad coax cable somewhere in your topography
3. The use of MoCA adapters / Bad MoCA adapter
4. Cap your exposed coax outlet plugs. They sell little caps for them (The exposed coax outlets act as little annetas picking up interference, the caps close them off)
5. External interference from something outside
6. Cable company Issue, it can and will happen from time to time.
7. Bad Cable Modem (They can flood the line with noise)
8. Bad signal amplifier

Any device attached to your coax topography can cause noise on the line. With this much noise this indicates something is attached to the line is malfunctioning

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do but point you in the right direction. We do not see anything wrong with your InfiniTV and this is a very specific issue. Hopefully it's just a bad splitter, which it is most of the time.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
Ceton Support
Here is a link to get some new splitters. http://www.summitsource.com/advanced_se ... x+splitter

This is what they are talking about in 4. Also known as Terminator Caps http://www.summitsource.com/terminator- ... -4897.html

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:26 pm

This has got to be the worst possible place to have an un-terminated splitter. How much interference do you think there would be in the middle of the rat's nest?
Attachments
NoCapSplitter.jpg

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:41 pm

As i mentioned in a previous post - all of these terminals are now in use. I feed the Ceton, TA and Cable modem off of the three way splitter. That photograph is older when i used was testing running the ceton through the TA, thus i only used 2 ports on the splitter.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Well I guess it can't be that then. It was 4th down the Ceton list, but the splitter in the picture just kinda jumped out at me.

Ceton seems confident that something in your diagnostic points to a very specific issue. I don't know for sure if the 8 suggestions are listed from most to least likely, but I would start with #1 and just move down the list.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:56 pm

So interestingly, I moved the ceton feed from the splitter to the output from the TA and all the problems have gone away?

Either the cable modem has fixed itself or the TA is filtering out whatever interference the modem is causing.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm

volfan6415 wrote:So interestingly, I moved the ceton feed from the splitter to the output from the TA and all the problems have gone away?

Either the cable modem has fixed itself or the TA is filtering out whatever interference the modem is causing.
or the splitter or the coax itself. It's quite possible there was nothing wrong with the cable modem to begin with. If you still suspect the modem though, here is the list, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7363

ryanmii

Post by ryanmii » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:50 pm

I just wanted to confirm that I had the same issue as the OP and using the OP's fix fixed my issue as well. I've been dealing with macro-blocking for years and it was driving me crazy. Finally noticed when I was uploading large files it would totally brick my cable feed and this brought me here.

Thanks for help!