Simply Cannot Get Remote Access Working

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
think1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Simply Cannot Get Remote Access Working

Post by think1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I know, I know... I'm a simpleton. I bought the app and for over a week now I've been trying to get remote access to work. I finally have to let go of my ego and ask for help.

In My Media Center Configuration>Advanced>Network I enabled Network Discovery and got the Internal IP Address and Port Number 5832.
On my Verizon Router, I entered the following in Firewall Settings>Port Forwarding>Create New Port Forwarding Rule>

Specify IP: Internal IP Address
Application to Forward: Custom Ports
Protocol: TCP
Source Ports>Specify: 5832
Destination Ports>Specify: 5832
WAN Connection Type>All Broadband Devices
Forward to Port>Same as Incoming Port
Schedule>Always

I was not able to get his to work.

I then tried Advanced>Port Forwarding Rules>Add>Edit Service>

Service Name: CDataService
Service Description: (blank)

Add Server Ports>

Protocol: TCP
Source Ports>Single: 5832
Destination Ports>Single: 5832

I then went back to Firewall Settings>Port Forwarding>Create New Port Forwarding Rule>

Specify IP: Internal IP Address
Application to Forward: CDataService
WAN Connection Type>All Broadband Devices
Forward to Port>Same as Incoming Port
Schedule>Always

And that too did not work.

I also rebooted the PC, the router, and my android phone and that did not work.

BTW, I did have to enter the PC's IP address into the phone; it could not discover it on its own.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

STC

Post by STC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 am

To test are you able to temporarily put the HTPC IP into a DMZ on the Verizon router?
If it works then you know it's config on the router that needs attention.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Do you have any firewall/internet security software installed on your laptop - if so, try uninstalling it. Also do you have the WAN IP set correctly on your mobile device?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

think1

Post by think1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 pm

STC wrote:To test are you able to temporarily put the HTPC IP into a DMZ on the Verizon router?
If it works then you know it's config on the router that needs attention.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. I want to try what you're describing, but can you walk me through that or point me to some instructions?

think1

Post by think1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 pm

erkotz wrote:Do you have any firewall/internet security software installed on your laptop - if so, try uninstalling it. Also do you have the WAN IP set correctly on your mobile device?
No laptop involved. Just a tower server and my droid phone. I do have Microsoft Security Essentials on the server with Win 7 and WMC. Do I really need to uninstall it in order to use the My Media Center app remotely? Or do I need to change some Exclusion settings in MSSE in order to permit MMC to work?

My Droid could not discover the server so I had to enter its IP address. Per the Ceton instructions I used the Internal IP from the Advanced>Network Settings in My Media Center Configuration 14.2.20.821. Is that the wrong thing to do?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 am

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and the MMC app works fine without configuring MSE.
In the settings for the MMC app on the phone did you specify your Internal IP and port (the IP of your Server PC, this will usually be a 192.168.X.X number etc..) as well as the external IP and port(Your Modem assigned IP to the Router)?
If you log into the router it should give you the current IP address aka your WAN IP. It's important that you specify both IP address within the setting on your phone (both Internal (local IP) and external (WAN IP) and ports.

*Important If you didn't setup the Server with a static IP I would. This will make things much easier as the PC your trying to connect to then will not change IP address if the Router reboots and DHCP decides to give your server a new IP address. If that happens then the MMC client on the phone will have different IP address stored in settings and will not be able to connect.
Help with setting up a static IP here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/ho ... windows-7/
There is also some good info from Ceton here: http://cetoncorp.com/documents/CetonCom ... sGuide.pdf
And here: http://cetoncorp.com/documents/MyMediaC ... pGuide.pdf
HTH,
newfiend~

think1

Post by think1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:32 pm

The settings on my phone for the PC are:

Name: xxxxx
Internal IP or Hostname: 192.168.x.x
Internal Port: 5832
External IP: 108.44.xx.xx
External Port: 0

I took these settings directly from My Media Center Settings

I did not set the external port to 5832 also because it said "If set to 0, internal port number will be used." So I left it as zero, was that wrong?

I checked my router and the External IP Address matched what it gave me.

I am willing to try to set up a static IP, but shouldn't I try to just get my phone to connect to the server remotely without adding more variables and chances for human error? I have rebooted my phone, PC, and router and the IP hasn't changed yet.

Is there a log file or something that I could send to a Ceton Employee that could diagnose my issue? I would really like to have the ability to program remotely, because quite honestly when I'm home I will always just use the PC or an extender. Remote access was the main feature I paid for. Thank you!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:34 pm

think1 wrote:The settings on my phone for the PC are:

External Port: 0

I took these settings directly from My Media Center Settings

I did not set the external port to 5832 also because it said "If set to 0, internal port number will be used." So I left it as zero, was that wrong?

I checked my router and the External IP Address matched what it gave me.

I am willing to try to set up a static IP, but shouldn't I try to just get my phone to connect to the server remotely without adding more variables and chances for human error? I have rebooted my phone, PC, and router and the IP hasn't changed yet.

Is there a log file or something that I could send to a Ceton Employee that could diagnose my issue? I would really like to have the ability to program remotely, because quite honestly when I'm home I will always just use the PC or an extender. Remote access was the main feature I paid for. Thank you!
I set my External port to the same as the Internal Port. Since you are trying to access over WAN and forwarding a port (Essentially for a WAN connection away from home) I would set both the Internal and External Ports to 5832. And make sure that port 5832 is forwarded in the router settings to the IP of the HTPC.
So essentially:
External Port: 5832
These settings must match the My Media Center Configuration Application on the PC and your Phone. I understand it says to use 0 if internal port will be used but I always specified a port and forwarded that port in my router settings. It will work best this way.
See if that allows you access.. Also if you set up a password in the My Media Center Configuration pages make sure that is input on your phone as well. Once you can connect then set the PC to a static IP.. You'll thank me later. =)
newfiend~