Cannot play videos on Win8 RT app

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
toddysm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot play videos on Win8 RT app

Post by toddysm » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Just installed the Win 8 App and have the following issues:
  • Although I specified the list of videos on my WMC PC in the Services settings I cannot see all the videos in the Win8 App
  • When I click on a recorded episode I just get a message "Recording will be played momentarily on [some name]" but nothing happens. My expectation is to start the episode on the Win8 RT machine where the app is. Also I am not sure where the [some name] comes from

Any help how to use/configure the app will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Toddy

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:09 pm

The [some name] is the network name for your HTPC. The video should start playing on that PC. If it isn't the HTPC is probably windows 8 as well which I know doesn't work well with the app. As far as getting the video to play on your windows rt tablet / through the app... not going to happen.

toddysm

Post by toddysm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm

First, what is HTPC?

Second, I don't have a PC with the name of [some name] as shown by the app. This seems is a bogus name to me that adds to the overall confusion around the app.

Third, why the hell did I pay $5 for the app if I am not able to play the video on my RT tablet. I am not sure what is the point of the Win8 RT app - just to use it as a remote? My expectation is that because (again) Microsoft didn't do good job thinking about the consumer scenarios there was an ISV that did better job of that but as it seems the ISV did the same useless scenarios that some Microsoft PM will do.

Last, how do I get refund for my money?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 am

1. Microsoft has nothing to do with this it is made by ceton.
2. Do you not have an htpc?
3. Did you install the ceton server app on your htpc that probably doesn't exist because it sounds like you don't have one.
4. Did you read the description of the app? It lists the full feature list of the app. No where does it say it can play videos.
5. The app is a remote and it allows you to set recordings on your htpc no matter where you are.... So its awesome and to me worth $5. If you don't have an htpc probably not worth any money hahaha.

Good luck on the refund.