MMC not working on mobile network

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
UCBearcat

HTPC Specs: Show details

MMC not working on mobile network

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:32 am

I bought the MMC app for my phone about a year ago, and it has run perfect on my GalaxyS2 and Nexus 7. My wife liked it so much that she purchased it to run on her Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 about a month or so after I purchased it. So, we've both had it set up and running fine for quite awhile now.

All devices are working properly with one exception. Her Nexus 4 has stopped connecting via mobile network within the last month or so. I don't have an exact time window to give, unfortunately. (We don't schedule a lot of stuff when we're away from the house) If she's in the house on our Wi-Fi, it works just fine and connects immediately. The last t-shooting that I did was:
Remove MMC app from the phone
Shut down phone
Power on phone
Re-install app and re-configure app

After this, she connected properly via Wi-Fi. When we turned Wi-Fi off and went to the mobile network, it still won't connect.
I tried adjusting the "timeout" settings. By default, it was set to 14 seconds. I can verify that it times out after 7 seconds, no matter how many times I re-attempt to connect (I timed it). I set the timeout settings to 21 seconds, and it still fails after 7 seconds.

She just upgraded to 4.4 KitKat the other day, but it was displaying these troubles prior to this.

Have I stumbled upon a rare bug? Bad luck?
And why doesn't it honor the timeout settings?

Help!

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 am

Oops.. I didn't bother to check the service version on the Media Center. I just found that I have an update pending.
I'm only running 13.2.26.1062. I'll upgrade that and report back.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:47 am

Still a problem after installing the latest services and rebooting the PC.
I can access it from my GS2 via mobile network or Wi-Fi. Her Nexus 4 can only connect via Wi-Fi. When her phone is on the mobile network, it only attempts to connect for about 5 to 7 seconds before throwing the failed to connect message. This is nowhere near the 14 seconds that is set up in her settings.

So... Help!

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:21 am

The timeout is max timeout and usually just has to do with gathering data. It all depends on the response from the server or whatever the httpclient wants to do :)

For connecting over mobile are you sure the IP hasn't changed? Can you type http://<remote ip of machine>:5832 into the browser of the phone and see what comes up?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The IP hasn't changed. I use a DynDNS client, and I verified that the IP is still the same when I was at home. I've had the same IP for as long as I can recall.
I ran an nslookup against several DNS servers 'out in the wild' to verify that they all reported the same IP. And they do.
My phone connects fine via mobile network, and I just brought my Nexus 7 into the office and connected from my work wi-fi network. So, here are 2 devices on 2 remote networks that work fine.

I emailed my wife at work to try browsing to http://<mydomainname>:<myportnumber> as well as http://<myipaddress>:<myportnumber> As I was typing this response, she just replied back and told me that she is getting the standard XML page “My media center services are running properly. Nothing to see here, move along, move along." She is still unable to launch the app and connect, however.

So, this tells me that she is definitely hitting the media server at my house.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Update:
She connected the Nexus 4 to a wi-fi hotspot away from home, and she was able to access the Media Center through the app. So, it would appear that connecting through her GPRS/GSM network connection displays the issue. Local/home wifi and remote wifi both work fine.

I can't imagine the mobile provider would block an app. It's just data over a TCP port.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:51 am

Interesting, Can you setup a new PC on her MMC app and specify BOTH the local and remote to the remote settings? Then in the settings-> advanced turn on always try local settings.

See if that connects at all. I can try it on 4.4 on my nexus 7 if you need me to just PM me.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:04 am

Can you access http://<mydomainname>:<myportnumber> on cellular data? Also who is the provider?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

haleedog

Post by haleedog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:36 am

erkotz wrote:Can you access http://<mydomainname>:<myportnumber> on cellular data? Also who is the provider?

I am experiencing the same issue, I am unable to access the domain on cellular data, I am with Sprint on LG G3