[Android] Connectivity and Movie Playback

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Beradon

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Android] Connectivity and Movie Playback

Post by Beradon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:01 am

Just noticed a couple of oddities while messing with the app.

I'm running the App on Android 4.1 and while it does work, it seems to have a couple of spotty connection issues, but they only seem to happen on WiFi. Loading recorded TV, guide, schedule and such occasionally is unable to load the info, I have to back up and go back in, tends to work about 50% of the time.

As for running a movie or recorded TV show, if I select it from within the app and hit play, it does not play at all (half the time, the other half the time it displays a file not found message). It also appears that if a movie does not have proper art/metadata that it doesnt show in the list at all.

As a test I did the following: I was having issues getting Metadata and cover art to load for XMen 2 and XMen the last stand. Neither showed in the Movie Gallery list either. Immediately after adding the TMDB tags to the end both showed up in the list.

Edit:

More information:

My movies are stored on my Windows Home Server (rips of all the DVDs I own). I attempted to start playback on my XBox extender and was also greeted with an error that says Media Center could not find the file specified.

There is at least a 4 second delay from executing a command on the remote for the Extender and when it actually happens while on WiFi and 3G. It is nearly instantaneous for the HTPC on either WiFi or 3G

Edit2:

Other errors: About 1 in 10 times I get "Unable to connect to PC. Please check connection" while on WiFi, but I have yet to experience it on 3G.

Info:

HTPC: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE running CM10 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean)
Tablet: HP Touchpad running CM9 (Android 4.0.4 ICS)

Companion App 1.1.0.0 from the Amazon app store (bought it there because I plan on getting a Kindle Fire HD when they come out)

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:18 am

Just wanted to add another thing.

As I was messing around with it today, I'm realizing that some of the issues I'm seeing may be related to one more central issue. It appears the connection to the HTPC drops out constantly. It looks and acts like it is still connected, but the buttons do nothing. I'm continuing to troubleshoot from my end, but it seems that the stability of the connection may be central to almost all the problems. It prevents proper function on both the HTPC and extender after a short time, even if it worked just minutes prior.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 am

We are also actively monitoring this as well just to ensure it isn't anything in the app causing the issue. Also can you make sure your services are the latest version as well. it seems like they are, just want to be sure.

Also for local movies we are working on a fix for this and look to have it out soon for the services.
Thanks
I Write, Code, and Tweet