Glorified Remote?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 am

mikinho wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Man, you just gave me a way to sell it to my wife. She doesn't see the point of the app... but her 5 year old daughter is always asking her to start movies on the extender in her bedroom. My wife always has to go to her bedroom to start the movie. I'll get the app installed on my wife's phone... and then she'll understand why this app is cool.
I did this exact thing last night for my wife. In memoriam of Michael Clarke Duncan she wanted to watch The Green Mile but couldn't find it easily in Media Center (my mistake of rebuilding the HTPC before going on a trip) so I started playback from Seattle for her.
You trying to show me up a bit cuz i started a recording from the Park up the street from my house and you started a Movie from Seattle that started in a Southern State I won't mention...?? Show Off!! :lol:
Love the App.. keep up the good work Michael!
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Now to get it to trigger Insteon commands... :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm

STC wrote:Now to get it to trigger Insteon commands... :)
Give me a few weeks for a blog post on this

:silent:

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 pm

I tend to agree that as it stands right now the companion app seems a little outdated, and at least for me not useful. However, the plus side is that unlike the app I currently use to schedule remote recordings (Remote Potato) the ceton app is being updated and actively supported. It was for this reason that I went ahead and spent the 5 dollars to buy the app, even though for me it doesn't really provide any new features or add-ons that I can't already do. Plus since I am a one HTPC (TV for that matter) household, using the regular remote works just fine.

The remote potato app has worked really well for me in terms of streaming and remote guide management, however it never seemed as streamlined as I think the ceton app is. There have always been times when it would crash and the remote guide was a non-starter for me I was never able to get this to work and always had to browse by channel. (this is one area where the ceton app is definately better IMO)

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I jumped in and purchased the app largely because I trust Ceton (deadlines aside, and I'm in no position to criticise anyone for missing deadlines :-) ). I haven't found it useful because I'm already quite happy with the tools I use to do the things that the Ceton Companion app is currently capable of, but if (when?) it delivers media streaming to handheld devices, I'll install it on all the mobile devices in the house.

For WAF reasons, I'm fairly conservative about making changes to the main HTPC, so I tested this app by installing the Companion Services on my own desktop, rather than the HTPC. With the new season shows starting up over the next few weeks, maybe I'll go ahead and install the services on the HTPC, and see if my better half finds it useful (though she'll have to buy her own copy of the App :-) )

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Personally think calling it a glorified remote is a bit disrespectful, I'm from the UK but from all I've read on here Ceton seem to be trying their hardest to please everyone (as much as humanly possible). I'm going to give the echo a go for sure and I've bought the app and not used it yet...
I mean £5/$5 what can you get for that these days? Just about buys you a pint if you're lucky...
There's just no pleasing some people
Lee

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I agree- glorified remote is a terrible way to describe this app. I mean, geez, isn't *everything* a glorified remote when it comes to mobile applications?

I think the app is coming along great - there are a few issues with launch, but the support we're getting is top notch. Additionally, Ceton has a large investment already in various other products so we'll continue to see this app thrive. As I see it now, yes, a LOT of what the companion does can be done with other applications - but a) are they all actively supported? and b) I don't want 3-4 different apps to accomplish my day to day tasks with WMC.

Give this app a few more months in the wild and we'll see it (quickly) overtake anything that's out there now. Great job on the app so far Motz/Mikhino/all all others involved. :D

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 pm

milli260876 wrote:Personally think calling it a glorified remote is a bit disrespectful
The tagline on the Google Play website for this app is "Your Media Center Everywhere". I don't know about you, but I use my Media Center to consume media, and the Companion app simply doesn't have any facility for doing that. I'll even concede "doesn't do that YET", but there's nothing disrespectful in pointing out that users who took that description at face value might well be disappointed, because it turns out that, cool and all as some of it's function are, it's only going to be useful for a couple of minutes a day, at most, even if you use Media Center to watch hours of TV and movies. It's sole function at the moment it to allow you to manage your media remotely - hence Glorified Remote.

Note that you may not see that "Your Media Center Everywhere" if you visit the app store on your device, but the e-mail that alerted most of us to this release contained a link to the Google Play Website.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm

The feedback was appreciate regardless and hopefully the new features we add will sway you :)

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm

foxwood wrote:
milli260876 wrote:Personally think calling it a glorified remote is a bit disrespectful
The tagline on the Google Play website for this app is "Your Media Center Everywhere". I don't know about you, but I use my Media Center to consume media, and the Companion app simply doesn't have any facility for doing that. I'll even concede "doesn't do that YET", but there's nothing disrespectful in pointing out that users who took that description at face value might well be disappointed, because it turns out that, cool and all as some of it's function are, it's only going to be useful for a couple of minutes a day, at most, even if you use Media Center to watch hours of TV and movies. It's sole function at the moment it to allow you to manage your media remotely - hence Glorified Remote.

Note that you may not see that "Your Media Center Everywhere" if you visit the app store on your device, but the e-mail that alerted most of us to this release contained a link to the Google Play Website.
We have been working on new images for the marketplaces as we do not want them to be confusing or missleading to anyone at all. That is not our intentions at all. I actually just uploaded new artwork today to Google Play so hopefully you should see it soon. Let me know what you think.

As for streaming we have always said it is on our feature list of things that we will be adding to the app. Each app store was updated on day 1 to be very specific that this does not stream to your device as we never said it does nor does it say it in the app description. Also we have been adding additional thing from feedback such as being very specific that Windows 8 is not yet supported, etc.

Hopefully this helps.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Unfortunately it comes down to reading for comprehension (or lack there of in this case) Too many people don't read things before purchasing. This includes the App description and its functionality prior to making a purchase.

My kids are famous for this as well. Instead of reading what is presented in front of them they blindly just click ok to installation windows which results in me having to remove numerous tool bars from internet explorer.

I can see where you may have been slightly mislead by the "media center everywhere" tag line but you should have read all the information before purchasing. The good news is that Ceton has the functionality you are looking for on the road map for the app..hopefully that comes to fruition.
I think the app is great and they are on the right track for a stellar application.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Last edited by newfiend on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 am

Never the less, it's a great remote. :thumbup: It's a logical upgrade that the MC experience was lacking.

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 am

mikinho wrote:

ok now i'm interested.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:52 am

New art is live: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .companion

Does this seem better? Let me know.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 am

brantmacga wrote:
mikinho wrote:

ok now i'm interested.
Heh!

Something that links into Eventghost or my ISY99i would be great!
Looking forward to your info in the near future Sir :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 am

STC wrote: Something that links into Eventghost or my ISY99i would be great!
Looking forward to your info in the near future Sir :)
Either should work.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Motz wrote:New art is live: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .companion

Does this seem better? Let me know.
Yes.

And I apologize in advance to everyone else for taking you away from the much more important task of making the Companion even better :)