Companion with XBOX 360 Extender

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
avidgator

HTPC Specs: Show details

Companion with XBOX 360 Extender

Post by avidgator » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 am

Like the poster who was asking about hiding devices (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=2649), I have switched to use my WMC as a headless provider for an extender. What is the expectation for the companion to "remotely" control the extenders? Should the "WiFi Detect" feature be picking up an Xbox Extender (it appears that it is in my scenario, but I need to dig further to be definitive about it.)

Is there a way to specify "headless mode" for a device (feature request) in order to suppress the immediate playback UI elements?

Thanks
JMG

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:55 am

The companion applications should fully remote control any Media Center Extenders.

We will add an option to "Show Media Center Extenders only"

craigwillie

Post by craigwillie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:04 pm

mikinho wrote:The companion applications should fully remote control any Media Center Extenders.

So my Android tablet/phone will be able to replace my media center remote? I was under the impression that the xBOx only had IR remotes, something my tablet/phone does not have. Does anything need to installed on the xBox?

Is there a link that explains more fully how this works?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm

craigwillie wrote:
mikinho wrote:The companion applications should fully remote control any Media Center Extenders.

So my Android tablet/phone will be able to replace my media center remote? I was under the impression that the xBOx only had IR remotes, something my tablet/phone does not have. Does anything need to installed on the xBox?

Is there a link that explains more fully how this works?
The control will be via TCP/IP over your wireless network. The phone app communicates with the service on the PC. Each extender is actually just a session that is logged into the PC... so it can send commands to the session on the PC to navigate around in the menus and such. It's actually something I investigated doing myself a year or so ago. I was able to make it work in a quick-and-dirty test program, but never took the time to write a finished program.