TBS 6902 tuners don't work first time

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

TBS 6902 tuners don't work first time

Post by technodevotee » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 am

I created a thread about this here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=13613#p145500 but it probably should be here.

As stated in that thread, I bought two TBS 6902 Twin DVB-S2 cards to replace my existing TBS 6982 cards.

I receive signals from three satellites using DiSEqC switches and the system was working OK but I got them because TBS claim they are an improved version.

Ever since installing the new cards, the PC often reboots when waking form sleep and even if it doesn't it will almost always fail to record and gives a message for each tuner that there was no signal when attempting to do a recording.

When I open WMC and attempt to watch live TV or select a channel from the guide, I get a no signal message but when I change to another channel, it works and I can then go back to the previous channel and that works as well.

If the PC is on with WMC open and receiving a channel, it will usually record but if I leave the PC on - even with MC open it seems like the cards go to sleep after a while and it fails to record.

TBS recently released a new driver with a note that they had fixed issues with DiSEqC but this has not helped. I believe that the cards or the driver are defective or have a design flaw but haven't been able to prove it. However, I have gone back to the 6982s and they are working as they always did.

Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone have a the same setup as me that is working OK?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am

I used to see similar no signal issues with live TV and scheduled recordings with my old TBS tuners when resuming from sleep - I think they were 6980s or 6981s maybe.

I think I just disabled all sleep and hibernation options to work around it in the end.

Prior to that I used a script of some sort to reset the tuners in device manager whenever the system woke up. That worked most of the time.

I'll try to find a link to an old thread for the script - I'm not sure if might have been on the old Green Button .com site though.

I tried using different pcie slots and changing pcie versions in the bios etc but nothing fixed the resume issue totally for me.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:39 am

I found one of my old posts in a thread about a similar device issue after resume.

The MS tool is called "devcon". You can use various restart / disable & enable options to try and reset the tuners after waking from sleep.

I used to disable my tuners before sleep and then enable them again when the system woke up. It worked pretty well.

viewtopic.php?p=69157#p69157

It might be worth a look...

Rob.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for this.

My issue is somewhat different as the cards are present in both device manager and WMC. They just don't get a signal the first time you try to view or record anything. I think it is something to do with DiSEqC.

Then there's the problem of the BSOD on wake from sleep.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm

My tuners were also visible in device manager and wmc.

Like you if I changed to a different channel after the no signal error then tv worked fine. The biggest issue was missed recordings after s3 resume.

It seems to be a bug that affects certain mixes of tbs tuner drivers and motherboard drivers maybe.

Rob.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm

Yeah, my TBS 6982 cards work fine with the same MB, which is a Gigabyte Z370 HD3.

I've updated the BIOS but it didn't help.

I know it is a few years old but the 6902 cards have been around a while now.

I haven't had a chance to try the 6902s in another PC yet because it is a PITA and causes major disruption - not to mention a reduction in WAF.

I've just downloaded the Windows 10 WDK and found devcon.exe in it so if they don't work in there either, I'll give that a go.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:11 pm

I've thrown the towel in and requested an RMA on these.