How do I adjust the timezone of the EPG with EPG123?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Emanef99

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I adjust the timezone of the EPG with EPG123?

Post by Emanef99 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi guys
I've got EPG123 to pull down an EPG schedule from Schedules Direct, but it's one hour out on my DVR. How do I adjust it? There's nothing in the DVR that will let me adjust it (other than the normal time and date, which will mean the EPG will still be wrong) , and from what I can see on Schedules Direct all their EPGs are 0:00. Is there a way to set a 1 hour time difference/zone in EPG123?
Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:36 pm

No method to do so because it shouldn't be necessary. All times in the guide are based on UTC/GMT/Zulu time and it is up to your system to be set up for the proper timezone with/without DST. So the first place you should look is your time settings to make sure they are correct.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 pm

Hmmm, strange. My router is correct, the VBox DVR (running Android TV) is correct and so are all the other devices on my home LAN. I'm in the UK so currently BST/GMT/UTC +00:00.

Could it be British Summer Time (ie forward 1 hour from end March to end Oct) that's doing it? I've opened the xmltv file EPG123 outputs and checked a few shows and they're definately showing the wrong time, ie the Ten O'clock news is showing on the xmltv file as 9 o'clock, so the DVR isn't wrong, it's definately the xmltv file.

I recall having to set my timezone when I signed up to Schedules Direct, but I can't see anywhere to check it is right.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Are all stations that are off, or just a few? Sometimes where I am at, which does not change time for the seasons, we will have a station or two be an hour off when everyone around us changes. The problem is for a short time before the upstream gets it corrected.

If the time in the XMLTV file is off (comparing to UTC), then the problem is with the source. I would recommend submitting a ticket with Schedules Direct to identify the channel(s) that are off.
- Gary

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sat May 02, 2020 1:53 am

You mentioned router and all kinds of things. But what about Windows? That's where EPG and your WMC Guide will get time from.

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:49 am

unclebun wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:53 am You mentioned router and all kinds of things. But what about Windows? That's where EPG and your WMC Guide will get time from.
My laptop was the first place I checked, the time is correct, time zone seems correct (UTV +00:00 London).
garyan2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 pm Are all stations that are off, or just a few? Sometimes where I am at, which does not change time for the seasons, we will have a station or two be an hour off when everyone around us changes. The problem is for a short time before the upstream gets it corrected.

If the time in the XMLTV file is off (comparing to UTC), then the problem is with the source. I would recommend submitting a ticket with Schedules Direct to identify the channel(s) that are off.
I've checked BBC 1 & 2, ITV, CHanne 4, CBeebies, they're all 1 hour out. I'm going to do an EPG grab on a different SD source to see if it's just the Freesat South East one that's out

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 02, 2020 11:05 am

If I ask Google what time it is in London, it says it is:
11:57 AM
Saturday, May 2, 2020 (GMT+1)

It is BST so hour is +1.

Is your PC set to "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings Time"?

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:38 am

https://imgur.com/a/ihgdeP5

Windows only gives me UTC, and it's UTC +00:00, London. Google says the time in London is 12:35 as well.

I've tried it with a second SD source (Sky HD Satellite South East) and that's all 1 hour out as well. :? :thumbdown:

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:27 pm

I'm really confused now....! I've uesd WebGrabPlus+ to pick up an EPG from another source as well, and that has everything out by one hour the same. My Windows system settings are definately correct and I can't see anywhere it can be changed - it's UK, London, UTC +00:00. I don't have the option for GMT/BST, but the time IS correct (ie is definately is now 8:30pm!)

Any ideas? Scratching my head now.....! The ony thing I can think of it it's something to do with BST, but presumably SD and other sources all have the correct times.

Edit: I have also just gone into the BIOS on my laptop to check the time and date on there and that is also correct.

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Are you using Win7?

http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/pr ... ttings.php

You can check if it has Daylight Savings Time enabled or not (if enabled it will automatically adjust for DST when the change happens).

Your clock may show the correct time, but it may not be set to correctly adjust for Daylight Savings Time. This means that if you DO set it to correctly reflect DST, your time will jump ahead an hour (and so will then have the wrong time). After you enable DST then you set your clock (back an hour) so it shows the right time. From then on it should automatically adjust the time back and forth an hour when DST starts and ends.

If this is your problem, then I assume you don't have Windows set up to sync your time to a NTP server on the Internet. If you did, I would expect the time on your PC to be incorrect (since it would not be adjusted for DST).

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 pm

No, Windows 10. Did you see the image I posted in my last post? That was my settings

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:15 pm

OK, so I think I see the problem. When I google what UTC is, it's an hour earlier than it is [for me], so my timezone is actually UTC+01:00. So presumably the current GMT (which is currently BST) is UTC+01:00, and from October to March it's UTC+00:00.

So I need to change my laptop to UTC+01:00, but with the current time. How forking confusing......! I've had too much to drink tonight for that, I'll try to work it out tomorrow!

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 pm

You keep the timezone at UTC+0 and enable the "Adjust for daylight savings time" option. It will automatically make it UTC+1 in the summer and UTC+0 in the winter.

For Win10, Click on the clock in the task bar and select "Date and Time settings" then look for that setting and enable it.

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:06 pm

OK, so I have removed the auto update time and date options. In the timezone I changed it to UTC+01:00 - this doesn't seem right as the list has London as UTC+00:00 and I had to select Casablanca timezone. I've then re-read the last comment and corrected the time to UTC+00:00 and made sure the tick was in the "adjust for daylight savings time" (which it already was, and then run another EPG grab and synced it back over...... it's still 1 hour out! Gah!

It hasn't adjusted it to UTV+01:00 though. It's showing London as UTC+00:00

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 pm

You should just need to make your settings look like the below. Make sure the 'Adjust for daylight saving time automatically' is On. The image you posted earlier shows it Off.
londonTZ.PNG
londonTZ.PNG (4.74 KiB) Viewed 8575 times
EDIT: Turn off the 'Set time zone automatically' option as well.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 03, 2020 4:41 pm

I didn't suggest that you turn off the auto update option, I said that IF your problem was that the DST option was not set then you probably don't have auto update enabled.

If you had auto update turned on and the DST option enabled and the timezone set to UTC+0 then that is what you should have (assuming you really are in the London/UTC+0 timezone).

If it still does not work after having those settings then I'm not sure what the problem is. I suppose you can try setting the timezone to UTC-1 with the DST option enabled to see if that makes the guide correct, but it still wouldn't explain why you had to set an incorrect timezone to make it work.

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Do you mean like this?
https://imgur.com/yOJtyNq

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:49 pm

OK, so getting a bit frustrated with this now! I changed the UTC to -1 (Azores) and manually adjusted the time to the correct time for me - the EPG is still one hour ahead, still showing the News program that was on at 16:50 as being 15:50. It's the same when I run the WebGrapPlus EPG grabber as well, that always shows the same as the EPG123/SD ones. The setting in Windows shows the timezone for the UK as UTC+00:00 - surely that is wrong? I don't see how I can fix that though? I've checked on my Windows desktop and that's exactly the same.

Are any of you guys in the UK?

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Just a thought. If Windows has the UK as UTC+00:00 but adjusts for daylight saving (ie adds the hour) is it possible that EPG123 (and WebGrab for that matter) only see the UTC setting (of +00:00) and not the adjusted hour?

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

OK, so I asked a few people on another (unrelated) forum in the UK if they could look at their xmltv file that EPG123 pulled from SD and see what times they had, and theirs is the same as mine; the EPG is one hour out, but then it is their DVR app that does the adjustments. So the data in their EPGs is UTC+00:00 (as SD said it all is) and EPG123 pulls that it in that format, and then their DVR software (Media Centre and TVHeadend) adjusts it to UTC+01:00 (aka GMT+01:00 aka BST).

So it looks like the VBox is just displaying the data from the EPG in the UTC+00:00 that is grabbed from SD and not applying the +1 hour adjustment - the time on the device is correct as that has the correct time and timezone GMT+01:00.

Is there a setting in the EPG123 config that will let me adjust all the data grabbed by 1 hour?