How do I adjust the timezone of the EPG with EPG123?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:39 pm

There is no method because it shouldn't be necessary. Here is the definition in the XMLTV.DTD document which describes how time is to be entered and interpreted.

Code: Select all

All dates and times in this DTD follow the same format, loosely based
on ISO 8601.  They can be 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss' or some initial
substring, for example if you only know the year and month you can
have 'YYYYMM'.  You can also append a timezone to the end; if no
explicit timezone is given, UTC is assumed.  Examples:
'200007281733 BST', '200209', '19880523083000 +0300'.  (BST == +0100.)
Whatever program you have that is consuming the XMLTV file is doing it incorrectly. It is translating programme start and end times as local time instead of recognizing that the times are UTC. NextPVR did something similar, though it would respect the timezone offset but would not respect times that did not have an offset should be considered UTC... it would translate the time as local. The best solution between the 2 of us was for me to always include the offset of +0000.

So no, no method to change the times. I don't plan on accommodating every piece of software out there that did not follow the description document and might consume the XMLTV file from EPG123. This is why there is a "standard," that everyone should follow, so that there wouldn't be issues like this.

If you want to modify the file yourself, just search and replace all "+0000" with "+0100" or even "BST" prior to consuming it.

EDIT: scratched out above. If the consuming program doesn't respect +0000, it is not going to respect +0100 or BST either.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:07 pm

I just googled and looked at the VBox. Is this it? https://vboxcomm.com/

It appears their External XMLTV option as a source is still in beta, and they have an active forum, so I would suggest letting them know of this issue and they can correct/update their software to respect timezone offsets.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks Gary, yes, that is them. I have the satellite version of the Android Gateway box (4 sat lines in). I also have an older terestrial box of theirs and that's fine as the UK has seven days EPG over the broadcast so that's doesn't need a third party EPG (I also have a HDHomerun, which I started using instead of the older terestrial VBox but am hoping to sell that if I can get the new VBox working reliably!)

I have let them know and forwarded them links to here.

There is a VBox PVR addon for Kodi which I have just tested and that IS correct, that does do the correct one hour timezone adjustment, so it looks like it's just their own mobile apps and the EPG displayed in the VBox web settings pages that show it wrong (ie in UTC00).

Thanks for your replies, hopefully VBox can sort this out in their applications.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Emanef99 I've already told you that using SD data for Vbox is a violation of our terms of service. We're not licensed to provide data to it. The predecessor to SD was shut down partially for that very reason. Please stop and don't ruin things for everyone playing by the rules.

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:24 pm

Yes, sorry, I've just been using it alongside others to try to get my problem resolved as VBox have said it's as EPG issue, but I've wanted to replicate it in multiple applications and sources to demonstrate that it's actually their software that it needs fixing in. I've also been using WebGrabPlus+ and xmltv and all have had the same results. My intention is to use WebGrabPlus+ for the Vbox as that's (as far as I'm aware) ok to use and that grabs the EPG from Sky UK ok, and then maybe EPG123 and Schedules Direct on my TVHeadend if and when I get the chance to get that set up.