EPG123 Output Location

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Emanef99

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Output Location

Post by Emanef99 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi guys

Is it possible to set EPG123 to save to a network share for the output file? And can it be set as .xml instead of xmltv?

I am trying to find a solution to get a UK EPG from Schedules Direct into my VBox IP satellite tuner and am wondering if this very useful looking application EPG123 can help me.

The VBox can accept an EPG in xml format, and when I used EPG123 it created an xmltv file, which I assume is just an xml file as when I moved it to a network share and pointed the VBox to that file it picked up all the contents fine?

So is there any way to have EPG123 save the output file as a .xml file (as opposed to a .xmltv file)? And is it possible to configure it to save the output file to a specified folder on my laptop or a network share?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Not programmatically, but you can add an Action to the scheduled task to do exactly what you want. Similar to this post.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi garyan2

Thanks for the reply.

That one has three tasks in that scheduled task, I can't see what the second one is.

I've just created a bat file with just this in it (bascially copied the text from that thread!;
XCOPY C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.xmltv \\NASIP\Public\xmltv_for_Vbox\epg123.xml /Y

It shows in Schedule Tasks as being completed but it didn't transfer the file. I then just ran that command in cmd (to check that the command is correct) and it DID copy it over, so presumably I either need to add more to the bat file or that second command on the example does something else that is needed? Any ideas?
Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:38 pm

The 3 actions in the task that you see are:

1. epg123.exe creates the MXF file
2. epg123Client.exe imports the MXF file into WMC
3. batch file copies the MXF file to another location

But to the root of your problem... you will need to edit the task User to something that has access to the network and the shared drive. Since your user account can obviously do both and the batch command ran just fine, you just need to change the task to use your account and store the user's password. The task will then have access to the shared folder.
- Gary

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Ah, ok. It defaults to teh user account NETWORK SERVICE.

I did try to change it to my user, but when I try it gives me a warning "Task Scheduler cannot apply your changes. The user account is unknown, the password is incorrect or the user account does not have permission to modify the task".

The username and password are definately correct, so it must be the last one, but I can't work out how to change permissions on the task - it was created by EPG123!

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Aha. It let me change the user group to Administrators (it didn't like Adminitrator or my user account, which is admin!) Cool, thanks.
Now to see if the DVR like the outputted xml file. I'm assuming that although it comes out as an xmltv file it's still the same as an xml?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Emanef99 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:20 pm Aha. It let me change the user group to Administrators (it didn't like Adminitrator or my user account, which is admin!) Cool, thanks.
Now to see if the DVR like the outputted xml file. I'm assuming that although it comes out as an xmltv file it's still the same as an xml?
The MXF and XMLTV files are actually both XML files. It is the XMLTV file that is formatted per the XMLTV DTD that your DVR is expecting... it's just your DVR apparently requires a .xml file extension as well.

EDIT: Sorry, should have asked what OS you were using. With the NETWORK_SERVICE as the user, then you are using Win10 which may require a little more effort to work over the network.
- Gary

Emanef99

Post by Emanef99 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Yes, sorry, I should have said, Win 10.

Do you know of an application that can just view an xmltv in a schedule type format (ie display it as an EPG not just the text of the file)? Just for viewing to check the data I'm pulling in is correct?