Hauppauge hvr-2250 not tuning VHF anymore

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
festusdog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge hvr-2250 not tuning VHF anymore

Post by festusdog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:26 am

Win 7 MC, Hauppauge HVR-2250, only using OTA TV.
Longtime WMC user, around 7 years.

Yesterday, before I switched over to EPG123, I could tune VHF stations fine.

So today, to fix the EPG problem, I follow the instructions to setup EPG123 and Schedules Direct. This includes nuking the old WMC install, which is OK with me because I actually dont watch much TV anymore.

When it came time to scan for channels, the tuner(s) now cannot find ANY vhf channels. When the antenna is connected directly to TV, all channels are receiving fine and strong, so the issue is 100% with Win7, WMC, or the 2250 card itself. Since everything was fine before the EPG switch today, I feel that the problem has to software related.

Suggestions would be very welcome. I have tried installing the 2016 Hauppauge drivers, which did nothing. Also tried re-seating the card. Tried uninstalling the tuner, deleting drivers, and having windows detect it again. Tried deleting the found channels and re-scanning from zero, many times. Even tried updating a few of my system drivers. Nothing changes. No VHF channels.
Last edited by festusdog on Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

festusdog

Post by festusdog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:30 am

the only other thing I did was to try using EPG Collector to scrape EPG from the OTA feeds, before I decided to go with EPG123. I mention this in case it is relevant. I dont think it would have affected anything.

festusdog

Post by festusdog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:40 am

I also notice that Channel Scan in WMC goes from 0% to 80% then immediately ends, apparently skipping 81-100.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:50 am

7MC doesn't scan VHF channels. You're going to have to add them manually. http://epg123.garyan2.net/tools/#vhfAddChannel

Take a look at the antennaweb.org website to get your digital and assigned frequencies (RF) for the above procedure.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

festusdog

Post by festusdog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 am

ok, but... I have been using WMC7 since 2012 and I can assure you that all of our local VHF channels were found on channel scans prior to today. In fact, we had several stations that were VHF for quite a few years, and recently several more switched to VHF.

All picked up fine and were detected on channel scans fine prior to today. So I don't know what to say. I never entered a channel manually ever in WMC.

I'm doing a fresh Win7 install, and I will enter them manually after reinstall. Can't figure out how they were detected fine before, though.

BTW - great work on the EPG123 software, it works smooth.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:48 am

MS/Rovi provided all the information for your tuner channels so it didn't have to scan them to have them in the guide. Case in point is for my area, MS/Rovi includes some VHF channels that are on the other side of a mountain 70 miles away, but it is still in my guide. I have no chance of ever pulling those channels in. So you had the appearance that your scans would pick them up, but they are only there because MS/Rovi provided them to you beforehand. Now that we don't get that information from them, we have to manually add VHF channels ourselves.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

festusdog

Post by festusdog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:09 am

Awesome info.

I manually added all VHF channels, and so far so good. I was even able to add several slightly out-of-market channels that I can receive that are not listed under the zip code for my area.

Thanks for the great program and the help resolving the VHF problem tonight.