Can Hauppagge! WinTV-HVR-2250 be used to capture old videos?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can Hauppagge! WinTV-HVR-2250 be used to capture old videos?

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I still have my original tuner card, the Hauppauge! WinTV-HVR-2250 and pulled it out of a box while cleaning the garage the other day.

Can it be used to capture old Camcorder recordings using the S-Video input?

Thought I'd ask so I can get busy on that before I sell it.

TIA

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

Sammy2 wrote:I still have my original tuner card, the Hauppauge! WinTV-HVR-2250... Can it be used to capture old Camcorder recordings using the S-Video input?
Hi Sammy!

I can't say that I've ever used that particular card, but what I can say is that I've converted many. many, many VHS, 8mm, MiniDV and MicroMV video tapes over the years using the S-video/Composite input on my capture card.

I have an old XP machine in my closet that I pull out whenever a family member finds an old video tape they need converted. My card has an S-Video to composite cable for the input and so does the WinTV-HVR-2250.

The HVR-2250 specifications include the following:
  • Microsoft Windows 8, 7 or Vista Premium or Ultimate (32 or 64-bit) or Windows XP.
  • Two analog tuners and hardware encoders:
  • - Dual built-in high quality hardware MPEG-2 encoders, so your PC continues to run at full speed while watching, pausing and recording analog cable TV
  • - Dual 125 channel cable ready TV tuners built-in. With dbx-TV stereo decoder, for great TV sound.
  • - Built-in cable TV splitter allows you to make one connection to cable TV but watch and record 2 TV programs at the same time.
  • - Composite/S-Video and audio inputs, for cable or satellite set top boxes or VCRs.
It's been my experience that as long as the "source" (whether that's a VCR, DVD player, the actual camcorder, or any other video source) has composite A/V outputs, the capture card will receive and record that signal. In your case that would be in the MPEG-2 format which is easily converted into a newer container format (MP4, MKV, etc).

Short answer = It appears that it's definitely capable of it...

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I still have my original tuner card, the Hauppauge! WinTV-HVR-2250... Can it be used to capture old Camcorder recordings using the S-Video input?
Hi Sammy!

I can't say that I've ever used that particular card, but what I can say is that I've converted many. many, many VHS, 8mm, MiniDV and MicroMV video tapes over the years using the S-video/Composite input on my capture card.

I have an old XP machine in my closet that I pull out whenever a family member finds an old video tape they need converted. My card has an S-Video to composite cable for the input and so does the WinTV-HVR-2250.

The HVR-2250 specifications include the following:
  • Microsoft Windows 8, 7 or Vista Premium or Ultimate (32 or 64-bit) or Windows XP.
  • Two analog tuners and hardware encoders:
  • - Dual built-in high quality hardware MPEG-2 encoders, so your PC continues to run at full speed while watching, pausing and recording analog cable TV
  • - Dual 125 channel cable ready TV tuners built-in. With dbx-TV stereo decoder, for great TV sound.
  • - Built-in cable TV splitter allows you to make one connection to cable TV but watch and record 2 TV programs at the same time.
  • - Composite/S-Video and audio inputs, for cable or satellite set top boxes or VCRs.
It's been my experience that as long as the "source" (whether that's a VCR, DVD player, the actual camcorder, or any other video source) has composite A/V outputs, the capture card will receive and record that signal. In your case that would be in the MPEG-2 format which is easily converted into a newer container format (MP4, MKV, etc).

Short answer = It appears that it's definitely capable of it...
Thanks for the detailed response. This is what I thought but basically just wanted confirmation! LOL

Now to find the camcorder!! and an S-Video or Composite Cable; I know I have the latter, haven't seen the former in years, oh and to figure out how to do the transfer..

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
StinkyImp wrote: WinTV-HVR-2250
Thanks for the detailed response. This is what I thought but basically just wanted confirmation! LOL

Now to find the camcorder!! and an S-Video or Composite Cable; I know I have the latter, haven't seen the former in years, oh and to figure out how to do the transfer..
In that link for the HVR-2250 above, the cable you need is the one right below the remote. Even then, you only need the yellow (video) and either the red (right channel audio) or white (left channel audio). You could use both audio channels but on the old tapes I've converted they were mono audio so I only needed one side. Any standard RCA cable will work between the cable noted above and your video device. I use a plain old red & white RCA speaker wire and make sure that the "yellow out" on the video device (VCR or camcorder) goes into the "yellow in" on the S-Video cable. Same with the audio...

After that it's just a matter of using software to capture the signal. It would be best to use the software that came with your card to "record" the video. If you don't have that software you may be able to download it from Hauppauge? I use a third-party capture application that I downloaded 15 or so years ago.

I don't remember the name (and I'm not digging out my XP box to look) but it's like the software from NCH (Free Version). It says that it will "Capture video from a webcam, network IP camera or video input device (e.g., VHS recorder)" and VHS recorder, to me, is synonymous with any device that uses RCA composite outputs.

Sorry! Can't help you with the camcorder... :roll:

Just curious -> What kind of tape are you trying to convert... 8mm, VHS, other? Maybe I could convert it for you...

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 pm

I have the HVR2255 with win tv8 and I picked up a refurbished jvc svhs vcr from a local old school electronics store. Guys been there since the 70's. staying alive on the retro lp market. I converted all my family's home movies. It is a very long process as you have to record in real time but very fulling when you return with 20 vhs taps converted into 1 thumb drive, plug it into mom's tv and she starts balling after hearing grandmas voice for the first time in 20 years. Long story short it works great.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm

lurch66.. That's awesome!!

What I'm trying to convert is old 8mm(?) VHS-C (Compact VHS tapes). Still need to find the camcorder and the tapes! They're in a box somewhere!
I had WinTV 7 going about a lifetime ago (2010 or 2011). I guess I'll need to take a look on my HTPC and / or PC and see if I still have it. Sure hate to have to pay Hauppauge! for another copy..