EAS (Emergency Alert System)

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 am

I feel like there is so much knowledge out there about WMC that has just been lost with time... This is the first I've heard anything about this and I have seen plenty of times where people are complaining about the EAS message and wanting to disable it within WMC... I've never seen a solution (other than Ceton disabling it so that it is never sent to WMC).

Why isn't there an organized place to find all this information? WMC may be in hospice, but it is still alive and kicking!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 pm

EAS causes even more headaches than just being a visible crawl box at the top of the screen. It changes the channel to a designated emergency channel. You can go back to the guide and go back to a different channel on a PC however an extender will switch back to the emergency channel by itself after 5 minutes with no way to override other than ceton's webpage button. This behavior exists currently with HDHR without any fix. This will happen anytime there is an amber alert, weather alerts, or monthy tests by the cable company.

ChrisWB

Post by ChrisWB » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm glad I don't have that problem. It must be something your cable provider is doing. I assume you tried blocking/deleting the EAS channel.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I haven't but I don't think it's in the channel map but it still tries to tune to the channel giving the service unavailable screen on WMC and in the webgui it fails to tune "technical reason"

Update: It is in the channel map but not in WMC guide :?

1851 EAS QAM256 279000 71 33.71

It isn't listed in the HDHR channel lineup

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 am

cwinfield wrote:I haven't but I don't think it's in the channel map but it still tries to tune to the channel giving the service unavailable screen on WMC and in the webgui it fails to tune "technical reason"

Update: It is in the channel map but not in WMC guide :?

1851 EAS QAM256 279000 71 33.71

It isn't listed in the HDHR channel lineup
Since WMC can't tune channels not in the guide, it fails. I wonder how WMC existed as long as it has with that pretty severe issue. I would think this violates some kind of law.

Maybe WMC can tune it in this specific case.

The HDHR channel lineup IS the channel map, if I understand correctly. By default the channel lineup listed in the Prime GUI does not include channels to which you don't subscribe, but you can see the entire map by adding a parameter:

http://<IP_of_Prime>/lineup.html?show=all

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:57 pm

STC wrote:Just checked:

CableCARD tab / Disable EAS Forwarding

Having hardly any appear in my locale (no child abduction/shootings/tornadoes going on in this wilderness) it's difficult for me to see if it works correctly.
I just ran across this thread which addresses one of the most aggavating issues I have with WMC. I have TWC/Spectrum and they run EAS alerts a lot - and they remain until you close WMC as people have pointed out. But of course they come back when you re-open WMC unless you wait an hour or two (or more). The way I've been dealing with it is when I reopen, I immediately record the channel I want to watch, wait a minute or two, and then start watching it from the Recorded TV tab. But of course that really limits how I can watch TV for that session because if I change channels and go back to Live TV, the message comes back which requires I start all over. If I can get rid of EAS, wow, that would be HUGE.

However, I do not see this button on the Ceton Diag webpage. I have an Infinitv4 and under the CableCARD tab, I do not see a Disable EAS Forwarding button, link or anything else. I am on Driver Package 13.6.3.1088, firmware version 1.2.2.6. Can anyone help me get rid of this extremely annoying issue? Thanks.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

PeteS457 wrote:However, I do not see this button on the Ceton Diag webpage. I have an Infinitv4 and under the CableCARD tab, I do not see a Disable EAS Forwarding button, link or anything else. I am on Driver Package 13.6.3.1088, firmware version 1.2.2.6. Can anyone help me get rid of this extremely annoying issue? Thanks.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 68&t=10575
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Is there a way to disable it on HDHR Prime Tuners?

Thanks!

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Is there a way to disable it on HDHR Prime Tuners?

Thanks!
Not that of which I am aware.

I (luckily) very rarely watch live TV with WMC, so this doesn't affect me, but I am amazed that people that do watch live TV put up with this.

I don't know why SD has not "fixed" this. Perhaps they are afraid of violating some law?

wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:50 am

PeteS457 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:57 pm
STC wrote:The way I've been dealing with it is when I reopen, I immediately record the channel I want to watch, wait a minute or two, and then start watching it from the Recorded TV tab. But of course that really limits how I can watch TV for that session because if I change channels and go back to Live TV, the message comes back which requires I start all over.
I do something slightly different which has worked 100% of the time for me:

When the alert pops up:

(1) Start recording the live channel you want to watch.
(2) Exit WMC
(3) Restart WMC
(4) Immediately go to Recorded TV and begin viewing the program before the EAS appears.
(5) Move the mouse so the navigation interface at the bottom of the screen pops up.
(6) Keep moving the mouse for a few minutes. It seems when the nav is displayed the EAS can't appear unless it was already there. Not sure what the time out on this is but I usually continue to move the mouse for about 2 minutes.
(7) You can stop moving the mouse and there should be no EAS message.

Note that if you exit and go back to live viewing the EAS message will come back.

Awkward, but it has worked for me every time.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Tue May 02, 2023 3:50 am

Anyone ever found a solution? Spectrum is killing me with the constant weather alerts here in Central TX where the weather is up and down on a daily basis.
Wouldn't be so bad if the alerts didn't take up such a large portion of the screen area. And sometimes the alerts kill the rest of the video. I'll just have a blank screen and an alert message.