Sudden loss of sound

Ceester

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sudden loss of sound

Post by Ceester » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:44 am

Just streamed a movie with sound, and windows 7 has sound. There is no sound in windows media center. Any ideas? Please help!
Just checked a recorded show in VLC and it has sound, so problem is with output, not input. Is this a HDHomerun problem? Any help much appreciated.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 am

Ceester wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:44 am Just streamed a movie with sound, and windows 7 has sound. There is no sound in windows media center. Any ideas? Please help!
Just checked a recorded show in VLC and it has sound, so problem is with output, not input. Is this a HDHomerun problem? Any help much appreciated.
I get no sound anytime I have ATMOS configured in the Sound control panel.
Gotta set it back to stereo or 5.1.

You can also play with the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" setting in Sounds control panel properties, but that's less likely.

Ceester

Post by Ceester » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:28 pm

CZ Eddie, can’t find atmos or allow applications to take exclusive….are these in windows 7 or in windows media center? Still no sound in WMC. Please be more specific if possible?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 pm

Ceester wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:28 pm CZ Eddie, can’t find atmos or allow applications to take exclusive….
ATMOS - You need to check your sound card settings. I use a Soundblaster and the "Stereo" and "5.1" settings are located in the actual Soundblaster settings. Yours will be in your sound card settings unless you also use a Soundblaster.

NOTE: ATMOS is a "Dolby" function so whatever controls Dolby on your system will be where you find that setting. Normally in your sound card settings.

Take exclusive -
  1. Right click on your little speaker in the task tray.
  2. Select "Sounds"
  3. Select the "Playback" tab
  4. Click on your Speakers to highlight and then press the "Properties" button
  5. Select the "Advanced" tab to find the exclusive use radio buttons

Ceester

Post by Ceester » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:30 pm

StinkyImp,
The playback tab shows TCLORSC8 intel display audio as default device, and sound tests fine. The Realtek audio is unchecked, and testing gives no sound. Do I need to change to Realtek? Audio output is thru usb to rca plugs into receiver. Streaming has sound…still no sound in WMC.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:46 pm

"The best time to fix something is when it's broken!" - Unknown (mid 1990s)

I can't remember who said that to me, but it was decades ago and it has always stuck with me.

In my experience the Realtek audio system has always been associated with the "onboard" audio. You're running your audio out through a USB port to your receiver so I don't know.

Do you have onboard audio ports? If so, connect them directly to your receiver and then enable your Realtek speakers.

It's already "broken" so you're not out anything trying to fix it. ;)