Window Size & Position

Star69

HTPC Specs: Show details

Window Size & Position

Post by Star69 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:44 am

Do anyone know if it's possible to force WMC to keep the same window size and position whenever it isn't running full screen? I've found various programs online that claim to be able to do that for any program, but I'm hesitant to load any 3rd party product on my WMC. I don't even browse the internet on that system. Anytime WMC is restarted on my computer, it starts over with the same smaller window in the same position... I'd like to change that to be the setting that I'm always adjusting it to.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 am

From my experience, it should remember your last windowed position, unless your system crashes.

Even after reboot, it will position in the last location when out of full screen mode.

Star69

Post by Star69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Thanks for replying to my question. I guess there's more to the issue than I realized- I have a standard monitor and my television connected to this PC, so when I start WMC, it automatically opens on the TV, in full screen mode. If I reduce it to a window, it's always the same size and position (about 20% of the full screen size, upper left corner). It makes no difference where I reposition the window, or how I resize the window, the next time I start WMC, it's full screen and then the same size/position if I reduce to a window. When I get the windows resized to my liking, it looks great, with a micro border on the edges. The problem is that I have to resize it every time WMC restarts. It only takes 20 seconds or so to get it "just right" but it is a repetitive and thus annoying task.
I can confirm that if I run WMC on a standard PC, it does behave as you described, keeping the same size and position as it was previously in. So there is something unique about my hardware configuration, or just that it's a HTPC... but I'm giving up on searching for a solution as the time spent on that could soon exceed the future time I'll spend resizing to my liking.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:12 am

If you're using two or more monitors, then all bets are off.
You will be constantly having to resize windows manually.
The only way to avoid this is to only have one monitor and NOT use a laptop, even if it's constantly closed.
That's my experience from over 15 years of WMC.

Star69

Post by Star69 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:05 pm

Hey Joel, thanks for confirming that my config is doomed to relentless resizing.
Life is brutal these days, what with having to resize my TV window periodically.
I appreciate your input.