New Driver error, after sleep does not support protected content

annonymous9999

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Driver error, after sleep does not support protected content

Post by annonymous9999 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:43 pm

WMC after the computer sleeps is producing device driver error the video playback device does not support playback of protected content when trying to watch live tv or recorded shows with COX. Rebooting fixes it but I would like a better fix. Nothing has chnaged other than updating EPG123 and clearing EPG's cache. I am using the nvidia DVI to hdmi beyond tv driver to cary audio over HDMI. Was working fine until recently, but odly reboot fixes it. Annoying if I have to run 24/7 on my power bill because sleep all the sudden starts breaking it.

FYI too COX sent out a leter that they were updating their MPG4 and it may break your WMC or TIvo with cablecard. They said you may need to update your driver. Tune into channel 1983 or 1987 I think it said and if it worked you were good. I tuned on and it worked but makes me cringe. Just thought I would mention it in case it affects others or is related.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:16 pm

This sounds like a HDCP handshake problem with your display device. MPEG4 has nothing to do with it. Make sure your display device is on before waking the PC. Check the seating on your HDMI cables. Possibly updating your display driver would help if there is a newer version.

annonymous9999

Post by annonymous9999 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:54 am

This has worked well for a long time until EPG123 stopped now after sleep I get a driver issues in WMC surley somoene else has solved this issue. Has worked fine for years and I do not want to reboot after every sleep. Shows are recording I just cant play back live or recorded after sleep all the sudden without a reboot. Get the driver does not support protected content error.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:00 am

Did you see stuartm's response?

annonymous9999

Post by annonymous9999 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:39 pm

The tv is on and this was not a problem until recently when EPG123 broke and was updated and I had to run the cable card setup. When the systme sleeps it looses the driver it seams for protected channels. The TV is on when I wake the system. Reboot recovers it but its a pain. I am connected DVI to hdmi with audio over hdmi to a 4k tv. cable is seated well and reseating it does not help. I am not using any addapters or an extra long cable. Shows still record.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 pm

When you upgraded EPG123, did you just install the new version or did you perform a [Client Setup] again (not recommended)?

Have you applied a tweak to increase the WMC video resolution to 4K in the past? I'm wondering, and considering you said you had to run the cable card setup again, if you had applied this tweak that maybe now it is only "half" applied or something after a client setup of epg123.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

annonymous9999

Post by annonymous9999 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 pm

No 4k tweaks applied and I upgraded to the latest EPG123. Its just going having the problem with protected channels which is nearly all them now adays with cox after the pc sleeps. Yet reboot fixes it pretty weird. Its not very energy efficient to leave running all the time. Used the same setup for years. BTW the holiday decorations are nice on the site if you did that Gary.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:44 pm

This still sounds like a HDCP handshake problem, Unlikely to have been introduced by EPG123. Instead of rebooting the PC does unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable fix the problem? Also, have you recently updated your video or audio drivers? A change to one of them might have introduced the problem. HDCP is only required for protected content so your description of the behavior being on protected channels is consistent with an HDCP problem.

annonymous9999

Post by annonymous9999 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:04 pm

I did try replugging and also powercycling the before posting. In the past I have had regular hdcp errors but usually the error mentions not hdcp compliant or similar in this case it blames the driver :) even though it was just working.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:18 pm

annonymous9999 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 pm BTW the holiday decorations are nice on the site if you did that Gary.
Not my doing. I'm not an owner/administrator of this forum. Thank @holidayboy and @Scallica (who reaaaally likes the snow)!

On the matter at hand, I agree with stuartm. The only way I could think of EPG123 contributing to your problem is if it removed/reset a registry setting during a client setup execution. Excluding that possibility, you're left with HDCP. You may want to try replacing your HDMI cable to see if that helps.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm

My new Sony X950H TV was causing this to take place on my HTPC whenever I rebooted. Upon reboot, I got a no audio devices error, which could only be resolved by hard restarting the TV. Apparently, that brings back the handshake and all is the well. New firware was pushed to the TV so it doesn't do this any longer. It was driving me crazy for months, couldn't figure out how it had no audio drivers, reinstalled audio drivers, rebooted, rebooted...who woulda thought rebooing the TV would reolve it!

Paul

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Some people have had success addressing handshake problems using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/HDFury-18Gbps-Ma ... ZZC4X68PPM
but they are a bit pricey and it may or may not help your particular situation.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:07 am

HDMI can be flaky. If you have another HDMI cable, try swapping it out to see if you have the same problem. You can also try connecting to a different HDMI port on the TV (if you have one) or a different TV.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:19 am

You mentioned that:
annonymous9999 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:43 pm I am using the nvidia DVI to hdmi beyond tv driver to cary audio over HDMI.
Not sure what that is all about but perhaps there is some effect by that on your HDCP handshake.
Is it some sort of method of using a DVI port on the Video adapter with a DVI->HDMI converter and also putting Audio out the DVI port?
I could imagine something like that would be fraught with peril WRT HDCP. :D

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 am

You can try an EDID override.

There're lots of posts over on avsforum.com about it.

Basically, get the program moninfo and while everything is working properly, use it to fetch the EDID info for your setup. Then save it as an .inf file. Using windows hardware manager, update the driver for your monitor and point it toward the .inf file you just created.

At boot or wake, windows will then use this new .nfo data and override what it erroneously reads from the system hardware.
Last edited by dmagerl on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:02 am

dmagerl wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 am You can try an EDID override.

There're lots of posts over on avsforum.com about it.

Basically, get the program moninfo and while everything is working properly, use it to fetch the EDID info for your setup. Then save it as an .nfo file. Using windows hardware manager, update the driver for your monitor and point it toward the .nfo file you just created.

At boot or wake, windows will then use this new .nfo data and override what it erroneously reads from the system hardware.
Wouldn't that be an .inf file?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:29 pm

What was I thinking! Yes, a .inf file. I fixed it. Thanks for catching it.

annonymous9999

Post by annonymous9999 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi, Thank you everyone for your posts this was very good discussion. Do you have a link to an FAQ on setting up the EDID inf file?

Also I was able to work around the issue using a HDMI splitter that has the chipset that doesnt break HDCP. DVI normally carries audio on a separate wire, but the Nvidia beyond driver can carry it without the separate wire on a DVI to HDMI cable. My plasma used a separate audio cable but I noticed that my new TCL tv did not seam to support this right and I came up with the Nvidia beyond driver carrying audio over a DVI to hdmi cable. It worked flawless for many weeks then I had EPG stop updating and when I fixed that I ran into the audio issue when the pc slept. My splitter is a sewell 2 port splitter, but I dont know if they still make them or the design has changed so do your research to double check. I wanted to share in case anyone else was fighting this. Thanks again.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Glad you were able to get this working.