Media Center all of a sudden no signal

marty_in_mesa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center all of a sudden no signal

Post by marty_in_mesa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:45 am

I have no idea what happened this afternoon. Years of faithful service and this afternoon Windows Media Center is giving me a error, can't find a tuner.
It was working fine, I was watching TV, the channel went "Blocky Display" and that was it. Media Center would not tune in any of the channels in the Schedule.

I have two Slicone Dust HDHOMERUN Prime Tuners
Using EPG for schedule
One thing I did I had to replace my wireless router.
I reran the TV setup in Windows, When it examined for signals, it did not find them. When I did it manually, it found the 2 Tuners but found no channels when scanned? (killed my EPG schedule, when I did that)
I went to a PC on the same wired network and was able to use the HD Homerun App on a windows PC and was able to watch any of the channels

Before I dig myself any deeper of a hole, I thought I would ask for help.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:06 am

If you run the HD Homerun app on the "broken" PC, does it work there?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:34 am

Replacing your router can change your network type to Public IIRC. This will prevent discovery of the hdhomerun tuners. Check what your network is set to and set it to Home network.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:58 pm

marty_in_mesa wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:45 am I have no idea what happened this afternoon. Years of faithful service and this afternoon ... one of my devices attached to my Win7 PC could no longer connect.
This is purely anecdotal... After a few hours I tracked the problem to my Windows Firewall. For some unknown reason it blocked "unchecked" the device that had been running perfectly for years. I deleted all instances of this program in the firewall and then set it up from scratch. Everything is working perfectly again (so far).

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Well,
Since I was running under Windows 7, and I saw that a patched WMC was made for Windows 10, I decided to setup a new HTPC Lenovo Tiny M92P. I installed the Silicon Dust HD Homerun utility, I scanned for the channels, for which it found a few over 300. I used the SiliconDust HomeRun App and was able to tune into the channels....so I know the PC is working, seeing the tuners and able to tune into the channels.

I installed WMC-8.85
Followed the instructions. WMC launched, BUT I have no Mouse cursor in Full Screen mode.
I have NO Extras, I seem to remember having to find the CABLE extra to setup.
I went to setup Live TV and it said No Tuners Found.
Help! :-)
(Going to Cross Post this on Windows 10 section too)
Stuck now....

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Space wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:06 am If you run the HD Homerun app on the "broken" PC, does it work there?
HD Homerun app works on the PC. I can watch TV.
I went to try and reset the signal in Media Center.
Media Center could not find the tuners, but if I did it Manually it found the two Cable Card Tuners, which are HD HomeRun Primes
But when scanning channels, it doesn't find the channels.

Since nearly all of Cox's channels are DRM, SiliconeDust DVR is of no use to me. (I subscribed and then found it won't record the channels)

Why did media center seem to think it lost the tuners all of a sudden and why does now a channel scan turn up no channels?

Frustrating. my last option if I can't get this going, is to cave and rent the Contour DVR from Cox.. :(

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:21 pm

that can't be your LAST option. I hear YouTube TV is a good choice.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 pm

It's probably not this since the native app was able to play TV, but did you check this?
stuartm wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:34 am Replacing your router can change your network type to Public IIRC. This will prevent discovery of the hdhomerun tuners. Check what your network is set to and set it to Home network.

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Space wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 pm It's probably not this since the native app was able to play TV, but did you check this?
stuartm wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:34 am Replacing your router can change your network type to Public IIRC. This will prevent discovery of the hdhomerun tuners. Check what your network is set to and set it to Home network.
I was able to use the HD Homerun App on the TV and watch TV
I was able to run the HD Homerun setup on that TV and scan channels.
When running Media center scan, it found no channels.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:27 pm

The HD homerun app uses different methods to access the tuner than WMC so that is not indicative that your home network is right for WMC. Cable scans are useless for WMC as it uses the tuning information in the guide, make sure your guide is set up properly. You can skip the channel scan when setting up cable. I would advise doing the manual setup of your cable tuners in WMC setup. (If the tuners show there then your network is good as far as WMC is concerned).

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

stuartm wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:27 pm The HD homerun app uses different methods to access the tuner than WMC so that is not indicative that your home network is right for WMC. Cable scans are useless for WMC as it uses the tuning information in the guide, make sure your guide is set up properly. You can skip the channel scan when setting up cable. I would advise doing the manual setup of your cable tuners in WMC setup. (If the tuners show there then your network is good as far as WMC is concerned).
I did set up manually, see below in sequence (the last one, WMC automatically does the channel scan)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Here is the 4th screen shot:
4.jpg
I will try setting up EPG again. But I sense Windows has to see the valid channels first....

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Your problem is you do not appear to be cablecard ready this looks incorrect for a Prime tuner they should be cablecard tuners and there should be 3 of them per prime unit.
How fresh a setup is this? Has this machine run the DCA and has Playready been installed? Do you perhaps have a non-Prime SD tuner as well, e.g. one of the OTA tuners. They would have only 2 tuners and be capable of tuning clear QAM channels (Which is what WMC appears to be trying to do here)
If your network type has been verified to be Home and you have run DCA and installed Playready then you may need to perform the OCUR Discovery steps outlined here:
https://www.silicondust.com/support/tro ... erun-prime

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:58 pm

WMC 8.8.5 doesn't have the DCA as part of the Extras. You can download that here. You will then be able to select DCA in the Extras and possibly get past this. Note that DRM does not work for Win10 beyond 1511, so if your Win10 is the latest 20H2, even if you get this working your DRM channels will not be viewable/recordable in WMC.

The ClearQAM tuners is not correct for a Prime, so not sure if WMC is incorrectly identifying them or you have ATSC/ClearQAM tuners on your network as well... though they should have detected something if you do.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:45 am

You say you have two HDHomeRun Prime boxes. Each HDHomeRun Prime has 3 tuners, so this display of only 2 tuners in WMC makes no sense.

In any case, I would not continue with your new Win10 system, and instead work on your old Win7 system, as that is the only one that is going to be able to work with your cable system's DRM channels.

You never replied to let us know if you verified that the network is set to "Home Network" and not "Public Network". If this problem occurred right after changing your router, this could be your only problem and it is a simple fix, so checking it and correcting it may solve everything.

Scroll down on this page to the "Windows 7" section to see how to check it and change it if it is not correct:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... ws-7-8-10/