Record new not working

Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record new not working

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Question I am using HDhomerun on Comcast with Windows 7 and my settings are record NEW only now its recording old episodes :crazy:
What can I do ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Rickt1962 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm...Windows 7 and my settings are record NEW only now its recording old episodes :crazy:
This happens to me occasionally and I currently have a rerun scheduled to be recorded as NEW even though I know it's a rerun.

Every time this happens to me I look at the "Original air date" and the "broadcast recording date" and in every case, they're the same. There's no indication or flag anywhere that indicates it's a rerun... so it records.

It normally has the generic program description and not the detailed description of the episode. This isn't always the case but in the majority of the cases it seems like it pulled the generic when it first hit the schedule and then never updated again.

Rickt1962 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pmWhat can I do ?
I just delete the episode and move on. ;)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:05 pm

All "generic" episodes are treated as NEW in WMC. The logic is to avoid missing NEW programs due to the program not getting updated with details of a specific episode.

The question is, do the repeats being recorded have generic descriptions or specific descriptions? If generic, then you may not be updating your guide. If they are specific, then I got no idea.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Just to clarify, the airings that have generic descriptions and NO original air date (OAD) are airings that have no episode specific information, and WILL be recorded not matter what (if you have it set to NEW only or otherwise).

The ones with generic descriptions but also with an original air date means that the episode DOES have episode specific information but they just used a generic description for some reason. This mostly happens for news shows that air daily.

The only criteria that WMC uses to determine if an airing is NEW is the OAD. If it is within 7 days of the airing date, then it is considered NEW.
Also, if there is NO OAD, it is also considered NEW (just to be safe).

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:57 am

I hate babysitting to delete episodes I already have
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 am

Rickt1962 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:57 am I hate babysitting to delete episodes I already have
This should rarely happen if your guide is updating every day.

There is a bug that may cause WMC to record the same episode multiple times in the same week, but if you are having episodes that recorded weeks ago, record again, then it is most likely an airing that had generic data. If so, then there is a good chance that your guide is not updating regularly.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:56 pm

Space wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 am This should rarely happen if your guide is updating every day.... If so, then there is a good chance that your guide is not updating regularly.
I brought this up a few years ago.

EPG123 performs an update every day without exception. 99.99% of the time there are no errors. Even so, occasionally an episode enters the schedule with generic info and never updates with episode specific information. This ends ends up as a "new" recording.

In my earlier post there was a NEW recording scheduled for FBI Most Wanted which I knew was a rerun. I just checked and it's now gone. So it must have updated the generic information.

I still have some sneak through (rarely) and that's why it's simple enough to delete the episode. :P

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:02 am

Yes, there is a bug that can cause some data to not be updated even though the updated data is downloaded, but it is relatively rare. If you are ending up with episode with generic data being recorded on a regular basis, then it is more likely that the guide data is not being downloaded regularly for some reason.