WMC @ 4k 60Hz - flickering line on right side of screen

bigsid05

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC @ 4k 60Hz - flickering line on right side of screen

Post by bigsid05 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Running WMC 7 at 4k 60Hz on my display and I'm seeing a thin strip of flickering black/white pixels on the right edge of the screen, only when using WMC. It's not a TV or HDMI cable issue as I've tried switching the cable and I have found a few other people online that are having the same issue (making me assume that it's not my TV), plus it only occurs in WMC. I found an old hotfix that was meant to address this issue when it occurred at 1080p, but it does not address the issue at 4k. See pictures of what it looks like, it is extremely visible when watching any letterboxed content. Is everyone having this issue when running WMC at 4k?
2016-01-14 18.12.13.jpg

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:20 am

Well, for anyone that stumbles upon this in the future, the method at the bottom of this TechNet article appears to work, just reduce 'Logical Width' by a few pixels.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:09 pm

bigsid05 wrote:Well, for anyone that stumbles upon this in the future, the method at the bottom of this TechNet article appears to work, just reduce 'Logical Width' by a few pixels.
Interesting ? Anyone running at 4K run into this ?

Looking at the key, it shows 0 so running at 3840 X 2160, I should set this to 3835 or so ? I am assuming I have to tweak this a big to find the perfect fit...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:10 pm

DavidinCT wrote:

Looking at the key, it shows 0 so running at 3840 X 2160, I should set this to 3835 or so ? I am assuming I have to tweak this a big to find the perfect fit...
I believe its the rightmost line of pixels - so decreasing to 3839 should fix it. It's a Media Center bug, so I think the same fix should work for everyone.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:11 pm

bigsid05 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

I believe its the rightmost line of pixels - so decreasing to 3839 should fix it.
Thanks, I'll try it right now (been looking for a fix for this for a long time)

Edit: This was funky to set but, it did work.... Here is how I got it to work.

Open Reg edit. go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DisplayService

If all fields are populated with your current settings, change "Logical Width" to 1 pixel lower than your settings(and reboot). IF it's not populated, Open Windows Media Center, go to TV setup and change to something different than your desktop res. Reboot the computer and change it back. GO back to registry settings, You will see the keys all populated, adjust just the "Logical Width" down by 1 pixel and exit, then reboot.

When the system is rebooted and you play back video you will see that that flickering on the right hand side is gone !

I wonder if I could capture this key and just import it back in after a rebuild instead of going through that whole process...

Been dealing with this one for a while now, never knew the fix but, I did it step by step so I can document it for everyone.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 pm

bigsid05 wrote:Running WMC 7 at 4k 60Hz on my display and I'm seeing a thin strip of flickering black/white pixels on the right edge of the screen, only when using WMC. It's not a TV or HDMI cable issue as I've tried switching the cable and I have found a few other people online that are having the same issue (making me assume that it's not my TV), plus it only occurs in WMC. I found an old hotfix that was meant to address this issue when it occurred at 1080p, but it does not address the issue at 4k. See pictures of what it looks like, it is extremely visible when watching any letterboxed content. Is everyone having this issue when running WMC at 4k?
2016-01-14 18.12.13.jpg
If anyone is STUMPPED with this one. I tried this and was successful fixing it, exported the registry key, removed any hardware specific keys so only the settings. As I am dual booting and did this test on 8.1, I rebooted into Windows 7, Played a recorded show, CONFIRMED that the issue was there, I imported my reg key and rebooted, after it came up, the problem is gone.

If anyone needs the key, PM me, I'll upload it to my One drive or something (Zipped up)

I exported it so I can save it, next time I chose to rebuild and see this issue on my 4K setup, I just import the key and it's fixed..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:37 pm

I was able to also confirm that decreasing the value by 1 pixel resolved the issue for me, I exported the Registry key and trimmed it down so that it just updates the single needed value.
I hope this helps someone else.

Regards

-----Copy the below contents into a text file, then save as a .reg file instead of .txt, then run the reg file and restart Media Center------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DisplayService]
"LogicalWidth"=dword:00000eff

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:35 pm

The LogicalWidth workaround you guys found works great, but it sadly has no effect if you disable WMC's exclusive fullscreen mode, which is required for some recent Intel and AMD platforms where the traditional exclusive fullscreen mode makes WMC completely unusable. To address that, I patched ehshell to extend the workaround introduced by Microsoft in 2009 to also apply to 4K UHD. See viewtopic.php?p=153086#p153086 for more information.

(I posted that here as it's one of the very first results Google returns for this issue)