Alternating Tuners for the Same Channel?

Hi-Def_PCs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Alternating Tuners for the Same Channel?

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:30 am

First, my apologies for reintroducing this subject, but the proposed solutions I have found are very confusing or manual and inconvenient.

My problem is WMC does not honor my start early and end late preferences in recording defaults for consecutive programs recording on the same channel, despite my Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 1651 having 4 turners. A program will only start early if it is the first recording in a string, likewise it will only end late if it is the last recording in a string. Therefore, programs in the middle my be truncated and cause me to search for the last moments of a cliffhanging movie in another recording! :crazy:

Is there a way to get WMC to alternate the available turners for consecutive recordings on the same channel without the convoluted tuner splitting exercises and multiple guide listings I have read about? Also, "Advanced Recording" does not exist in my version of WMC. Could EPG123 somehow include instructions to assist WMC in performing what should be a very simple task? :thumbup:

Thank you all in advance for your valuable time! :clap:

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:57 am

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:16 am

Space wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:57 am "Stop 10 minutes after"

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... 2&p=131060
Thank you, Space, for the suggestion.

However, 10 minutes past and 3 minutes before are my recording defaults.
I will experiment with this theory in mind and post an update next week.

Stay Tuned!

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:05 pm

It must be "10 minutes after", not "10 minutes after, when possible".

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14 am

Space wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:05 pm It must be "10 minutes after", not "10 minutes after, when possible".
Thank you, Space, but I am not offered any choices without, "when possible". In fact, "when possible" is actually part of the start and stop recorder setting headings in my Windows 7 Pro 64 build's Windows Media Center version. Could the absolute start and stop options only be in the Windows "h8" versions? :roll:
However, I am working on a solution that shows great promise!

My computer's RTC has an over-active thyroid problem where the clock gains almost 30 seconds each hour. That was causing the program ends to get cut off, which was only being noticed on movies from a particular channel that has no between movie commercials or breaks. It just segways from one movie to the next precisely on the 1/2 hour mark. Even though my computer has a task to restart it every morning at 5:00 AM, which re-syncs time too, all the accumulated seconds were easily over a minute or two by the afternoon and evening. Setting a later restart time would likely interfere with recordings. :sick:

My solution was to write a task to re-sync the system clock with an Internet time server at shorter intervals than the default one week, but I found a registry edit that does a wonderful job at re-syncing at any interval you wish. I set mine for every 1/2 hour at 5 minutes before the 1/2 hour mark. Links to the solution web sites I used for the instructions to perform the registry edit are below. :geek:

Note: You need to click the Decimal radio button for seconds view in the key and you may have to change the permissions on the key to make an edit. I took ownership of the key and edited the effective access to gain the needed edit privileges. :D

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Time ... See%20More

http://www.easysurf.cc/utime.htm

Cheers my Friends! :thumbup:

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:33 pm

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14 am ...I am not offered any choices without, "when possible". In fact, "when possible" is actually part of the start and stop recorder setting headings in my Windows 7 Pro 64 build's Windows Media Center version.
I run Win 7 Pro x64 with WMC.

The "10 minutes after" and "10 minutes after, when possible" options are located in the individual series recording and not in the recording defaults.

10 minutes after... https://i.imgur.com/q07ZNTE.png

10 minutes after, when possible... https://i.imgur.com/F3bpJ3r.png

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:33 pm
Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14 am ...I am not offered any choices without, "when possible". In fact, "when possible" is actually part of the start and stop recorder setting headings in my Windows 7 Pro 64 build's Windows Media Center version.
I run Win 7 Pro x64 with WMC.

The "10 minutes after" and "10 minutes after, when possible" options are located in the individual series recording and not in the recording defaults.

10 minutes after... https://i.imgur.com/q07ZNTE.png

10 minutes after, when possible... https://i.imgur.com/F3bpJ3r.png
Thank you for the clarification, StinkyImp! I will try that with a series I record tonight. :thumbup:
However, it appears, or I just cannot find, the same option for individual movies. Is that possible in Win 7 WMC? :?:
Getting back to back movies on the same channel to record with pre & post minutes on different tuners is my real need. :roll:
I want to avoid having to split tuners and manually re-assign channels to achieve my goal of no overlap to the next program. :arrow:

Cheers! :wave:

Space

Post by Space » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:37 am

You can use the "Advanced record" option when setting up a new recording or the "Record settings" option when modifying an existing scheduled recording.

You can find both of these options on the second page of the "Program Details" pop-up. This is the pop-up that appears when you select a program in the TV listings (OK button on the remote, left click with the mouse, or press the enter key). When you get to this page just use the right arrow to get to the next page and one of both or these options should be there.

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:49 pm

Space wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:37 am You can use the "Advanced record" option when setting up a new recording or the "Record settings" option when modifying an existing scheduled recording.

You can find both of these options on the second page of the "Program Details" pop-up. This is the pop-up that appears when you select a program in the TV listings (OK button on the remote, left click with the mouse, or press the enter key). When you get to this page just use the right arrow to get to the next page and one of both or these options should be there.
Space, thank you so much for the directions! :!:

Why didn't Microsoft put that option under the record button on the movie details page in the first place instead of burying it under actions? :?:
Now I feel like the time I lost my pencil, and after asking everyone at the table if they'd seen it, someone pointed out it was above my right ear! :wtf:
I have reset all my movie recordings to "10 Minutes After", and I have already confirmed StinkyImp's instructions worked for series recordings. :thumbup:

Happy as a Clam! :D

grittree

Post by grittree » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:13 am

Keeping RTC correct is free and easy. No need to start recordings early. Only need to add 1 minute (if possible) to end, except sports and other live events like awards shows.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:55 am

grittree wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:13 am Keeping RTC correct is free and easy. No need to start recordings early. Only need to add 1 minute (if possible) to end, except sports and other live events like awards shows.

http://www.timesynctool.com/
Thanks, grittree

I can see where someone may prefer a utility over a registry edit.
However, I was not intimidated by that and it works great now!

Cheers!