Moving on from Windows 7 Media Center

Indymil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving on from Windows 7 Media Center

Post by Indymil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm

This may have been addressed in the past (disclaimer). I have been a loyal user of media center for 10+ years. I am in the process of moving on .... I am now using HDHomeRun DVR ... has some shortcomings (no search for programs that I have found, not satisfied with the channel lineup display) ... but it is a viable option. I am also in the process of trying Channels DVR (setting up) ... think it is a viable option.

I have 4 Apple TV's ... Apple has apps for Channels and HDHomeRun (definite advantage) ..... Something to think about ...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:34 pm

Indymil wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm has some shortcomings (no search for programs that I have found, not satisfied with the channel lineup display) ... but it is a viable option.
Such a day comes for everyone, and I honestly believe that for everyone here we will all end up saying exactly what you said. "It's definitely not WMC, but for what I do now with a DVR, it'll do". I know I did.

I looked at Plex, Channels, and some others. I was disappointed by all. After 15 years of ReplayTV and WMC, I became convinced that no one is giving any attention to DVR anymore. They're all implementing half-baked software.

I ended up using Plex--only because I already had the lifetime sub that includes DVR. Oh, and also because by the time I cycled through trying others, Plex had chosen to move back to Gracenote for the schedule plus had chosen to implement a non-destructive commercial skip, as opposed to its previous iteration that chopped them out completely (bad idea). Those two things are good things, and the opposite of those two things are bad things. Since Plex did those things right, I accepted it.

For the record, Plex uses comskip and has tuned it to be virtually perfect on the national networks. So there's that. It's all built in, no configuration necessary--although one can use one's own comskip.ini if desired.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 am

Still loving my WMC 7 with my Ceton card. 10+ years. Is it a pain sometimes sure but worth it. With the advent of EPG123 the guide is beautiful and accurate. I'm running it until I can't build a Windows 7 PC anymore. I predict my Xbox 360s will die first.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk