Windows 7 add new SSD

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 am

Ken H wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:26 am ...
Is it possible to clone different content to partitions you create on the new drive?
See my OP in this thread, I think it is.

You just need to offload the large video files from drive C: then clone it to a smaller partition on the new drive.

I believe I made an 80 GB partition for the system partition and then created another partition, which was the rest of the drive (several terabytes), used for the recordings (labeled it X:).

Even if you just make an exact clone of the system partitions, you can later shrink the partition using this method. Of course you would have to move/delete the large video files from that partition first so that the smaller partition would still be able to hold all the remaining system (C:) files. You want to leave some free space on the C: partition as well so that swap, temporary files, etc. can be used. Like I said I used an 80 GB partition and the OS took up around 40 GB, so about 40 GB was left free.

In any case, I would move/delete the video files from the original drive before cloning it, the clone should go much faster if it does not have to copy all those large files to the new drive.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:24 am

I used Macrium Reflect and cloned the HD onto the SSD. Everything went fine, the clone had all the recordings, but the Copy Protected recordings still will not play. It also only cloned the exact HD space/size and did not initialize the remaining unused section of the SSD, .93TB.

Since the HD still plays the Copy Protected recordings, I have zero idea what to do. Any suggestions are welcome.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm

If you made sure to clone ALL the partitions needed from the old disk (not just the one system/C: partition) then I am not sure why it didn't work.

Did PlayReady want to re-initialize due to thinking your system was a different computer? Or did it just not play the DRM recordings without PlayReady needing to be re-initialized?

If it thinks your PC is a new computer due to a hardware change, then I don't think there is anything that can be done, as this is by design. However, I don't think a HD change would do this unless you had other hardware changes in the past and this just pushed it over the limit.

My knowledge of PlayReady is limited, as I only have experience with cloning a new system HD a couple times (I've done it twice on the same system with no issues). Perhaps others have further knowledge.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Space wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm If you made sure to clone ALL the partitions needed from the old disk (not just the one system/C: partition) then I am not sure why it didn't work.
As I've previously said, there is only one partition on the original HD with everything on it, and it was cloned successfully.
Did PlayReady want to re-initialize due to thinking your system was a different computer?
No.
Or did it just not play the DRM recordings without PlayReady needing to be re-initialized?
It will not play the Copy Protected recordings and I haven't done anything with PlayReady on this clone.

Reinstalling PlayReady on the original clone (using Acronis) still would not allow the Copy Protected recordings to play.
If it thinks your PC is a new computer due to a hardware change, then I don't think there is anything that can be done, as this is by design. However, I don't think a HD change would do this unless you had other hardware changes in the past and this just pushed it over the limit.
As I've said, there have been no other hardware changes since I've started to record on this PC. And when I reinstall the original HD it will play the Copy Protected recordings.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:55 pm

What does it say when you try to play a copy protected recording?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Space wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:55 pm What does it say when you try to play a copy protected recording?
Copying Prohibited
The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied.
You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Are you able to view Live TV of copy-protected channels?

While most people seem to have no problem swapping out drives (HD -> SSD included) it appears that others have issues, for instance check out this thread. I'm not sure if anyone ever figured out why it does not work for some.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Space wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 pm Are you able to view Live TV of copy-protected channels?
That's a good question I can't answer, as I don't have any premium channels at this time.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 am

Depending on your provider, you may have non-premium copy protected channels (even if just for testing).

My FiOS has all Fox network cable channels protected, as well as a "test"" channel which runs advertisements for FiOS that is also protected.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Space wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 am Depending on your provider, you may have non-premium copy protected channels (even if just for testing).

My FiOS has all Fox network cable channels protected, as well as a "test"" channel which runs advertisements for FiOS that is also protected.
I have Comcast and to my knowledge only the premium channels are copy protected.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 pm

I spoke with Crucial support and they said they were aware that WMC recordings would not be cloned with their software but I could move them from the old HD to the new SSD clone. Which as noted above is what I did, but since the Copy Protected recordings would not play, I'm still looking for a solution.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Have you tried cloning to a different hard disk rather than to a SSD? Wondering if the change of disk type is enough to break the DRM?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 am

stuartm wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:51 pm Have you tried cloning to a different hard disk rather than to a SSD? Wondering if the change of disk type is enough to break the DRM?
No, but I'm going to try that.

Again, thanks to everyone who's been chiming in here.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 pm

One additional thing to try if your goal is just adding recording space. Simply add a second drive without cloning. Move the recorded TV files to that drive and point WMC to that as the recorded TV location. You ought to be able to add a drive without breaking DRM.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm

stuartm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 pm One additional thing to try if your goal is just adding recording space. Simply add a second drive without cloning. Move the recorded TV files to that drive and point WMC to that as the recorded TV location. You ought to be able to add a drive without breaking DRM.
Right, but I also want the speed and reliability of the SSD for the operating system and programs/apps.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm

Yep, totally understand, that is exactly what I do, smaller SSD for
OS/apps much larger spinner for recorded TV

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 pm

One additional suggestion. I once heard it was the amount of change that would break DRM. You might see if you can add a disk and if DRM does not break, then try cloning the system disk to a SSD. (i.e. perhaps having the additional disk will keep DRM from seeing as big a delta when changing the system disk).