No MCE option?

jriker1

HTPC Specs: Show details

No MCE option?

Post by jriker1 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:20 pm

I am trying to figure out how to get an InfiniTV working with MCE on a virtual machine and the card installed in the host. I was going to go with Windows 8.1 Pro which is what my current system is running but for some reason I can't find the option to install WMC anywhere. Not in that area under Add/Remove Programs, not by searching for Features. Assuming I do not have to install that version used to get Windows 10 working but was curious what I'm missing.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:56 pm

IIRC in Windows 8 the WMC came on a separate disc; it wasn't part of the base OS.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:23 pm

Thanks. I'm going to have to figure out where my other media is then. I setup Windows 8.1 with MCE years ago and apparently had the right install media back then.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:04 pm

I've been digging and the best I can find is that isn't the case that it was on "a separate disc". All documentation online shows you need Windows 8.1 Pro (check) you search for "add features" and then need to enter the key and then it activates MCE. When I type in "add features" nothing is there and the other screens they suggest to add features also they aren't there.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:29 pm

I thought with the advent of Windows 8 that they channeled it through the Microsoft store as an add-on. I believe it was called Windows Media Center Pack or something to that extent.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:37 pm

Thanks nope. Not there. Probably makes sense since MS doesn't want anyone using it anymore that it wouldn't be in the store. Driving me nuts as I documented the heck out of my last Windows 8.1 build and can't find it anywhere on how I set it up originally. Know it was a pain with finding PlayReady downloads and the like. Guess to much time went by and is lost in my archives.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:50 pm

jriker1 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:37 pmI documented the heck out of my last Windows 8.1 build...pain with finding PlayReady downloads and the like.
As far as I know, Gary provides the installer and other files required to install WMC in 8.1.

Win 8.1 installer -> https://garyan2.github.io/win10.html

Other files -> https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:56 pm

Thanks. Don't recall needing to do that but if I need to can go that route. Right now per another thread I started playing with Windows 7 again in a Hyper-V session. Think everything is working give or take the digital cable advisor which may be OK since it's virtual and won't pass but used that cmd file that is supposed to override that. Know that test will still crap out if run in WMC but that said looks like it's tuning channels just the XBox is having issues for some reason. Maybe I can get this working thru Windows 8.1 instead but probably not since I think to get this working on a Hypervisor you need to have network tuning support which is only for Windows 7 I guess for Ceton.