CableCard theory

jriker1

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard theory

Post by jriker1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm

OK have a good one for you folks I think. I have a computer that's been running MCE with a InfiniTV 4 and obviously CableCard since like 2011 maybe earlier probably when my last system was built. Still love it. Historically I know when my InfiniTV failed and had to replace it, Comcast couldn't get the card activated again. So I was still able to access digital channels but not things like HBO and the like that are DRM. That's fine as don't watch movies on Comcast anymore and just use it for weather and the news. So think those channels are "encrypted" but not "DRM".

Here's the deal. I'm building a new virtual server with a product called ProxMox. I was able to setup that computer with another InfiniTV card and compile the Linux drivers in it. So now have an InfiniTV 4 broadcasting it's ethernet tuners in theory with no cablecard yet. I want to then create a virtual of WMC and access the network tuners off the host. The question. Without removing the entire card from the "production" system, could I pull the cablecard and stick it in the other InfiniTV 4 and it would work?

It's been a while but as mentioned understand Comcast could never activate the card if that's the correct word and of course they had no clue why.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:22 pm

The cablecard would likely need a "hit" from the TV provider to work in the new tuner.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:07 pm

unclebun wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:22 pm The cablecard would likely need a "hit" from the TV provider to work in the new tuner.
Thanks for your theory sounding answer. :D

I am then wondering if taking the card out of the current InfiniTV and trying it in the other one, then putting it back in the original one would have any impact.

JR

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Cable cards are supposed to be activated/paired with specific tuners. It likely won't work in another tuner. Without any new hits from the cable co you should be able to try it in a different tuner. in theory this would not affect that cards ability to recieve protected channels from the tuner it was originally paired/activated with. (this is all AFAIK and YMMV).