Random nagging for Playready update

CoteRotie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random nagging for Playready update

Post by CoteRotie » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:40 pm

My Win 8.1 installation of WMC has been stable for years. I have both Ceton and Silicondust cable card tuners, and I'm using EPG123 and Schedules Direct for guide data. Recently (ish) WMC has been randomly asking to update Playready. It will work for days/weeks, then the Playready update message pops up again. The only thing I can do is try to let it update, which of course fails after a while, then select continue which allows things to work until the next nag.

I tried manually installing Playready (downloaded from one of the links on this site) but it tells me I already have a newer version of Playready installed. So I don't understand what triggers MC to think that Playready is out of date.

I tried running setup again, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

CoteRotie

Post by CoteRotie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:20 pm

This has seemingly started to happen more frequently, does anyone have any ideas at all? Is there some registry setting that will stop it from looking for a Playready update? Why would it randomly think that Playready needs updating?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:28 pm

I have a WAG - You could try changing the WMC internet configuration to say you do not have an always on network then maybe it would not think it can go get an update and stop asking.

CoteRotie

Post by CoteRotie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:21 pm

stuartm wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:28 pm I have a WAG - You could try changing the WMC internet configuration to say you do not have an always on network then maybe it would not think it can go get an update and stop asking.
Great idea! I'll give it a try, thanks.

bsocko

Post by bsocko » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:26 am

Mine is doing this too, all I have to do is reboot the VM and it works again. any ideas on a permeant fix? This worked flawlessly for years.