Is there hope for dvb-t2?

andrea69

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is there hope for dvb-t2?

Post by andrea69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:05 am

Hello everyone, from next year in Italy they start with the switch off dvb-t2, at the moment there are test channels and despite having a compatible hauppauge dvb-t2 wmc tv card does not lock the frequencies.
On the net I found a page of the TBS blog store (https: //shop.tbsdtv.com/blog/how-to-scan-dvb-t2-signal-when-two-dvb-tt2-cards-installed-on-computer.html) which says how to do it but I still can't tune the test channels.
Is there anyone who has succeeded? i don't want to leave wmc.
Thanks

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:07 am

andrea69 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:05 am at the moment there are test channels and despite having a compatible hauppauge dvb-t2 WMC tv card does not lock the frequencies.
I used WMC for 5 years, and can confirm that WMC can handle DVB-T2 transmissions. However, for the past 6 years I have been using MediaPortal, and on the MediaPortal forum there are two Italian users who report that they cannot tune these Italian test channels using MediaPortal's TV Server.

My guess is that these Italian test channels do not conform to DVB-T2 standards, and as a result some media center software will be unable to tune those channels. WMC is no longer supported by Microsoft, and unfortunately MediaPortal no longer has anyone who understands the TV Server code, so that won't be fixed either.

If you have a Hauppauge tuner, you perhaps should consider contacting Hauppauge support to see if they are aware of this problem with these Italian test channels, and whether a fix will be forthcoming.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andrea69

Post by andrea69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for your answer,
since I was evaluating mediaportal as an alternative to wmc, I had read on the forum that some Italian users had problems with the dvb-t2.
I tried mediaportal and unlike wmc it finds the test channels but they are not played even by setting lav as video decoder.
I hope that in the meantime someone finds a solution or I will have to wait for the switch off to complete to see if wmc tunes the channels of the dvb-t2.
I will try to contact huppauge

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 pm

You could also take a look at JRiver.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:54 pm

jachin99 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 pm You could also take a look at JRiver.
Or "NextPvr", which is free for personal use and looks to have features similar to MediaPortal (but I have not used "NextPvr" myself). You might be lucky and find that it works straight out of the box!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andrea69

Post by andrea69 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi, I tried the hauppauge wintv program and the dvb-t2 test channels are seen, while with jriver they are not tuned.
Kindly I wanted to ask the guys in the windows 10 media center community if they know the problem.
Thanks