Upgraded from 7 to 8.1. Is there no way to restore protect content?

Vienna

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgraded from 7 to 8.1. Is there no way to restore protect content?

Post by Vienna » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi,

Is it at all possible to play protected wtv files on the same computer that has now been upgraded to Windows 8.1? The original protected files were recorded on the same device when it had Windows 7 installed. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

I upgraded my computer from 7 to 8.1 for support reasons and to upgrade my OneDrive feature set which is most important. Yes, I understood that my protected .wtv files could be lost.

Installed on 8.1
* I have KODI installed and it can play my non-protected wtv files.
* I have not purchased a WMC key, because it would be a waste of money if it can't play protected files for me.

Easy Transfer
* Before upgrading from 7: I made an Easy Transfer of a few of my protect wtv files.
* After my upgrade to 8.1: Easy Transfer was unable to restore any settings. It only copied one protected file onto my drive, but it was not playable.

MSPR.HDS
* I installed PlayReady. I don't remember where, but in these forums someone had posted the latest PlayReady files for 8.1.
* I saved my \Playready\MSPR.HDS file. In Windows 7 it was located in C:\ProgramData... In Windows 8.1, I wasn't sure, so I copied it to the same location as well the ProgramData directory for All Users and my local user.
* The protected .wtv files do not play

Thanks all.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Having done a quick search on here, it seems there's more to it that just the MSPR.HDS file in ProgramData.

According to other posts on here: 'Besides the .hds file in the eHome folder, I found there is also a hidden system 'cache' folder, which contains some 'MCENDIndiv01' files.'

I know that checks are made within WMC to verify that features are licenced.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the subject of protected media so hopefully someone else will come along and help you.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm

I don't know anything about upgrading from Win7 to Win8.1 as far as how it affects PlayReady. I would assume it would continue to work, but have no idea.

But I would think that the existing PlayReady installation would have to be used (the one that still exists after upgrading your system), installing another installation would probably give your machine a new signature which means all old protected recordings will no longer play back.

But again, I really don't know much about it.

I'm pretty sure the cache files aren't important, because I've restored a year-old system image of a failing HD to a new HD (the drive was unable to be imaged during that year due to some sectors being unreadable) and then copied over the mspr.mds file from the failing drive and all protected recordings (both those recorded before the image was taken, and after) played back fine, no need to copy over any of the files in the cache.

6athome

Post by 6athome » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:37 pm

your DRM content is done once you go from win7 to win8.1.
I have two win 7 computers and two win 8.1. The win 8.1's with WMC are driving me nuts.
I think cable advisor is so dead in win 8 that it is killing me from recording DRM content.
I have HDPrime with cablecard and fox has gone DRM and I spent years on the phone with fios and still can't get fox channels on my win 8.1's,but I can on my win 7.
ATC 3.0 over the air is going to screw cable providers,that's why fox is going DRM, so you have to pay for over air broadcast

Vienna

Post by Vienna » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:27 am

Thanks all. That's enough to lay the problem to rest for me. I'm going to delete the protected files and just no worry any more.

The MCENDIndiv01 comment is interesting, though Space's comment is helpful. Though, again, that's a Win 7 to Win 7 restore.
PlayReady did not seem to be installed after I upgraded from 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1. I had also hoped the installation would stay, but it didn't.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 am

I believe that Playready for windows 7 is different to the version required for Windows 8 and Windows 10 so presumably it would need to be reinstalled after the upgrade.

Seems some people have managed to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and retain the ability to play their protected recordings but I think they had a licence that included WMC.

As I said, there are checks made for licencing in WMC so it almost certainly wouldn't work without a licence.

All the best.