Upgrading from WMC7 to WMC8 possible without losing DRMed content?

tsh2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrading from WMC7 to WMC8 possible without losing DRMed content?

Post by tsh2000 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 pm

I am considering upgrading an existing Windows Media Center 7 system that has recordings flagged as Copy None/Copy Once (after all, it's not regular TV, it's HBO). I tried to do a dry run using a test system (Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Pro) and it seemed like the upgrade wiped WMC before I could get to the Pro Pack install. This makes me assume that any recordings that are copy protected would no longer play since (re)installing WMC in 8 would generate new DRM keys. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Also, before I go on eBay, does anyone happen to have a spare Pro Pack key they'd be willing to part with :mrgreen: ?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Good question, if you have a win 8.1 with media center pack iso it might upgrade without losing your DRM content. You could save a system image then revert should it not work. If you save a copy of your mspr.hds on win 7 then replace it on win 8.1 it should all work fine because it should have all the same key values as long as you do a upgrade install which keeps your existing partition intact.
Last edited by cwinfield on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Why would you "upgrade" from 7 to 8?
Just leave your system as is.
IF you're having issues with current OS, just do a reformat with a fresh copy of Windows 7.
Yes, you will lose your DRM content either way.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 pm

tsh2000 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 pm I am considering upgrading an existing Windows Media Center 7 system that has recordings flagged as Copy None/Copy Once (after all, it's not regular TV, it's HBO). I tried to do a dry run using a test system (Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Pro) and it seemed like the upgrade wiped WMC before I could get to the Pro Pack install. This makes me assume that any recordings that are copy protected would no longer play since (re)installing WMC in 8 would generate new DRM keys. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Also, before I go on eBay, does anyone happen to have a spare Pro Pack key they'd be willing to part with :mrgreen: ?
Microsoft officially supported a upgrade path from Windows 7 to 8/8.1. This is or was documented on their web site. If you REALLY want to move to 8.1, I would not see why it would not retain DRM flags.

With this being said, and any other upgrade on an very important system, take a full backup of your OS and TEST it before doing this. Microsoft OS updates can fail badly sometimes, you will have better luck with a fairly clean system (if your just using WMC with out tons of stuff installed, odds are it will go smooth) but, you want to have a roll back plan if all goes to hell.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:26 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 pm Microsoft officially supported a upgrade path from Windows 7 to 8/8.1. This is or was documented on their web site. If you REALLY want to move to 8.1, I would not see why it would not retain DRM flags.
I will add some "color" to this and say for my case, I was going from W7 32bit Ultimate to 64 Bit Windows 8.0 Pro (and then 8.1 with media pack). I used Windows "Windows Easy Transfer" found under Start-->Accessories-->System Tools. It allowed me to select from all Profiles present, including all my Recorded TV. I am able to still watch my recorded programs. A caveat is that it is slow! I had almost a TB of shows, and it took about 18 hours via USB 2.0. Faster connection topologies would help!