WMC 8.1 live TV Playback, sound problems

kuebs

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.1 live TV Playback, sound problems

Post by kuebs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Hello all,

I have been having a playback problem for a while with WMC. But I figured I could live with it because my HDHomeRun app would run TV just fine. But with all the changes at the first of the year with Windows no longer having free program guides I figured I should try to resolve it.

I have a pretty decent set up. An intel I3 CPU with 16GB of RAM and the OS running on an SSD hard drive. Most of my media are on platter hard drives.

As I said, my tuner is a SiliconDust HDHomeRun 3 tuner device. My provider is Verizon with a cablecard. I have no issue playing TV through the HDHomeRun TV app.

When I try to run this on WMC, I get the video feed just fine, but the sound just repeats the first three seconds over and over again, until it fails and says something like I need need restart my WMC or rerun the setup. I have done both many times. I also switched out my AMD Radeon RX 460 GPU with an Nvidia GTX 1060, hoping that this would resolve my problems, as it would be a new video driver/playback set up and config. But no.

Same exact problem. I have rerun the set up of TV signal, activated digital cable and its is even more odd that through HDHomeRun I can view an entire football game with no issue.

Any thoughts????

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 pm

If you record and then playback the recording do you get the same problems? Have you changed any of your codecs, e.g. installed Shark codecs or something?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:45 am

This may or may apply to your situation but:

On Windows 10, the repeating sound issue in WMC seems to be caused by having the speaker settings in both Windows and WMC speaker set the same - i.e. both set to 5.1.

The conventional resolution in this case is to set Windows to stereo and WMC to 5.1.

As I say, this may not apply in your situation as not only are you running Windows 8.1 but I don't know what kind of audio setup you have.

Just thought it might be worth a try.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:31 am

viewtopic.php?p=85092#p85092

i just disable navigation sounds and that works for me 5.1 no problem if i ever play an 5.1 analog source in wmc

kuebs

Post by kuebs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

None of that seems to be the case. I don't have new codecs. I got rid of all codecs. And I am running this on WIndows 8.1. Right now sound is set for 7.1 stereo.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Does it do it in every programme you play or just certain ones?

Does it do it while watching a TV programme in real time or catch up mode or just recordings?

Have you tried setting the system to 2 channel stereo or listening through an analogue output such a pair of headphones?