Playready acting strangely

dougpowers1965

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playready acting strangely

Post by dougpowers1965 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:08 am

So today I discovered, after looking at my latest recordings, that I got the "can only play this content on the same computer....blah, blah, blah. The only change was I redirected where to save the recordings were saved ( a different hard drive on the same computer) as the previous one was filling up. I even started a new recording live, watching protected channels live worked fine, but the new recording still gave the same message, even AS it was recording. So I thought, maybe if I switch it back to the previous drive it will work again, and voila, it did. Works as normal. What gives? Thoughts?

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm

I don't think I've ever seen this problem reported before. Just re-pointing WMC to use a different recording drive should not cause any issues with DRM.
When you record a new DRM protected program, it should put the license in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds" file and as long as the signature of your system does not change, it should be able to play back the DRM recording using the license in this file.

dougpowers1965

Post by dougpowers1965 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Referring to my original post on this thread, this exact problem happened again yesterday. Even after a reboot I did to confirm the issue, changing the drive to which the recordings were to be saved cleared it up. Some recordings had a black thumbnail and gave a picture, mostly black, resembling a scrambled cable channel at the top of the rendered video with no sound. Others gave the standard "can only play this content on the same computer....etc". Unencrypted recordings were unaffected. I will note that the hard drive the recordings that were being saved to was almost full but that SHOULD have just gone about deleting older recordings to make room for new ones as per normal process. If I didn't know better I'd say Microsoft is trying to sabotage our WMCs to dissuade us from using it any further. I wish this wasn't the only program to date that records encrypted TV (via Playready), albeit with an outdated OS since a newer OS does not play nice with CableCARDs. Sigh......