Defective 8.1 WMC

urabus99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Defective 8.1 WMC

Post by urabus99 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:47 am

My media center will record without problems and also play live TV. When I play recorded programs, after a certain amount of time, my WMC shuts down and the monitor goes to sleep. No matter what I do the only way to bring it back is to press the start /stop button on the pc. Under programs and features I turned the media center off and I can play recorded programs with the media player with no problems. I have changed storage from my "C" drive to an external drive and turned the WMC back on with the same problem showing. Before I purchase a new Win11 PC and download the WMC download on Gary's web page, is it possible for me to turn my 8.1 WMC off and download the 8.1, 10 and 11 on Gary's site, without causing any harm? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Ron

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:49 am

It sounds like your PC is going to sleep after a period of inactivity. This can be disabled, however if you are playing back a recording within WMC, it should also prevent the PC from going to sleep, so I'm not sure why it would go to sleep while in playback mode.

https://www.techsolutions.support.com/h ... dows-11632

urabus99

Post by urabus99 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:25 pm

The PC is not going to sleep, just the monitor after the media center shuts down while playing recorded programs. The PC is still on but I can do nothing with it because I lose control of my keyboard and mouse. My problem is in the playback of the media center, which is why I asked the question about downloading the WMC on Gary's website after turning my media center off in programs and features, since the wmc is built in. Perhaps Gary needs to answer my question, with no disrespect to you Space because you are always very helpful and I Thank You.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 pm

sounds like a graphics driver issue.

What is your GPU?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:54 am

Have a look in Event Viewer and check Windows Application and Windows System to see if a fault is being logged around the same time. It does sound a bit like the display driver (GPU) is crashing. It is it bit weird if it is only happening with Recorded TV. Live TV is essentially the same thing as this is recorded to a buffer file and played from that.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1