Windows Update 3/9/2022 Hurt My WMC

Kenneth Burns

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:43 pm

technodevotee wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:08 pm
Kenneth Burns wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm Whew, I was able to get back on track by rolling back KB5011564. I also turned off automatic Windows updates for now. Is there a way of knowing whether there'll be another update that supersedes or fixes this one?
Well it seems that Microsoft are patching a vulnerability. While it is nice that they are still providing 'fixes' for Window 8, it's just a shame that it breaks things that people actually want to use.

Especially when it seems to be a rather silly thing to be patching in the twilight years of the OS.

The resolution / work around is to modify permissions to allow local access as per forums/viewtopic.php?p=147507#p147507.

It seems very likely that MS will re-apply the patch to systems that aren't 'locked down'.
I tried that fix first but I didn't have any luck. Maybe when I have a moment I'll try again under calmer circumstances. Meanwhile I'm glad things are working again because I still have lots of Winter Olympics to watch 😂

elsevers

Post by elsevers » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:01 pm

benhase wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:39 pm
benhase wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:23 am Same issue here WMC on Windows 8.1 Pro after installing KB5011564 (2022-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems).
When I open WMC is brings up a "Welcome to Windows Media Center" screen.

I did find if I start WMC in "Run as Administrator" mode, it then works correctly.
The Regedit fix from the Win7 forum solved my issue.
Warning!, an incorrect change made with Regedit can destroy your entire system (to the point you can't even reboot).

Close WMC.
1. Windows Key + R type Regedit
2. Navigate to Key: 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center'
3. Right click -> Permissions.
4. Advanced.
5. Double Click INTERACTIVE
6. On the Right Hand Side, click on "Show advanced permissions".
7. Check these two On: Set Value and Create Subkey.
8. After the change: all but the top one [Full Control] are checked on the Left, just the bottom one [Read Control] is checked on the Right.
Save and exit Regedit. Open WMC normally (no need to reboot).
Hello everyone, I have followed these steps but am still having problems. Here's what happened:

1. Just like everyone else, when after windows update installed KB5011564, my media center extenders stopped working and when I would open up the media center application, I would get the first time configuration screen
2. I followed these steps and... no change
3. I ran Media Center as an administrator, and then it opened properly on my computer, but media center extenders still did not work.
4. I closed Media Center and re-opened, this time without administrator privileges, and now it opened just fine. But still the media center extenders did not work...
5. I restarted my PC. Now, when I open Media Center, I get the first time config screen again (and media center extenders still do not work)
6. I tried running Media Center as an admin. Still did not work. I confirmed that my registry keys were still configured as described above.
7. I uninstalled KB5011564. Checked the registry keys. Ran media center as admin and in normal mode. Nothing worked. I still get the first time configuration screen.
8. I reinstalled KB5011564 and repeated the registry changes. Still... nothing works. Run as admin or normal permissions.

Interestingly, throughout all of this, media center is continuing to record my TV shows.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall media center?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:52 am

elsevers wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:01 pm Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall media center?
If you have made the permission changes to the registry, but are still getting the first run wizard, then you can try the extra registry settings I identified.
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... 90#p147490

These should bypass the setup wizard. I don't have any extenders so I don't know if it will help with them. But this restored Media Center for me when combined with the permission changes.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

rdxwkpr

Post by rdxwkpr » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:40 pm

More issues with KB5011564.

After update I had to run WMC as administrator and extenders are not working.

Removed KB5011564 and checked the regedit setting as advised. WMC now runs fine on my WMC PC, however the extenders are still not working completely.

The event viewer shows a normal transfer of extender software to extender followed by a normal connect. No errors at all in the event viewer.

When trying to connect the xbox 360 extender I see all the normal screens connecting to the WMC PC and after the last screen it goes black. XBox no longer responds and the only way out is to restart the xbox.

I have verified that I still have the regedit changes for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center and that the fix is gone.

Any suggestions?

elsevers

Post by elsevers » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:38 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:52 am
elsevers wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:01 pm Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall media center?
If you have made the permission changes to the registry, but are still getting the first run wizard, then you can try the extra registry settings I identified.
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... 90#p147490

These should bypass the setup wizard. I don't have any extenders so I don't know if it will help with them. But this restored Media Center for me when combined with the permission changes.
Yes! This fixed it. My xbox 360 media center extenders work again as well. THANK YOU! :clap: :thumbup:

Weapon X

Post by Weapon X » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:31 pm

I just reinstalled the problematic windows update and made the permission change. No luck. MCE still broken. Anyone else still having this issue after the fix?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:06 pm

In what way is it still broken? If you are still getting the first run wizard, then you can try the extra registry settings I detailed.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Supremus Prime

Post by Supremus Prime » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:57 am

Anyone tried April update to see if Microsoft have fixed it ? I just uninstalled it last month and it worked for me.

gjgman7

Post by gjgman7 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Can someone direct me on how I can access WMC in Windows 8.1 permissions to correct the issue everyone has experienced so I can be able use the EPG123 guide updater?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 pm

Post #23 for the permission details but…

April 12, 2022—KB5012670 (Monthly Rollup)
Addresses an issue in Windows Media Center where some users might have to reconfigure the application on each start.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 74177c6277

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:46 pm

I just installed the April rollup and Media Center is working fine. I never did the permissions fix. When I encountered the problem I did a System Restore and disabled Windows Update.

Supremus Prime

Post by Supremus Prime » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:10 pm

I just applied April update Microsoft have fixed the permissions issues in this patch.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:16 am

Supremus Prime wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:10 pm I just applied April update Microsoft have fixed the permissions issues in this patch.
good that is my question answered I was about to ask. we need to make sure MS remembers Media Center