Media Center Add-ins Section

The Green Button has risen from the grave. Brought back to life by a few enthusiasts who think the same way you do. Help us make this site better!
holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center Add-ins Section

Post by holidayboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 am

Hi folks.

So if we were to add a new section aimed at creating a "file store" for Media Center add-ins etc, in what sort of format would you guys and gals prefer to have it?

1. A new forum section where add ins can simply be uploaded as attachments?

2. An ftp site?

3. Other ideas - such as.....?

4. An external website created by others that we can link to?

We will need to look at the uploading of files side of things, it can't be a complete free for all really - for one thing we don't want the new section to become a festering pool of viruses :thumbdown: (not that we have members that would do that!)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

holidayboy wrote:Hi folks.

So if we were to add a new section aimed at creating a "file store" for Media Center add-ins etc, in what sort of format would you guys and gals prefer to have it?

2. An ftp site?

We will need to look at the uploading of files side of things, it can't be a complete free for all really - for one thing we don't want the new section to become a festering pool of viruses Image (not that we have members that would do that!)
I think, and this is just my opinion so take it as such.. that it would be better to have a ftp type site rather than have to dig through multiple forum posts to try and find a specific plugin. I'm in the keep it simple and easy to search and download camp..

I have some things backed up unfortunately I found out last night with DavidinCT that some of my archives we're corrupt and or missing files. That was a real bummer. I'm going to scour the net in hopes of finding the files again but my hopes aren't high as these things keep disappearing. Hence the reason to have a place to store all this stuff.

I know the Wiki has links to many things I don't have personally archived that I should just download and keep in a safe place.

newfiend~

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:17 pm

holidayboy wrote:Hi folks.

2. An ftp site?

We will need to look at the uploading of files side of things, it can't be a complete free for all really - for one thing we don't want the new section to become a festering pool of viruses :thumbdown: (not that we have members that would do that!)
Maybe we can expand on the Wiki where we can put each link where we store it. As for the storage medium, maybe FTP or an external site. I would be willing to do a full backup on my onedrive or something so we have a 2nd place for a backup. I don't think I could use this for a full share for everyone as Microsoft might give me a hard time if I am doing a public share (I really have to look up the terms). I would hate for a archive like this to go down and is lost.

One thing we want is to make sure if someone has an app that no one has, we need to make it ultra easy for them to upload it.

I also don't want to deal with the Virus thing too and knowing how a public upload spot can be we need to be carful with it. ... Although some of the earlier apps were scripted in a way where they show up as a Virus (Symantec does on some things) so we need to be able to weed out what IS and what isn't...

I'm working with newfiend now to combine our WMC apps. He gave me access to his selection(he's got a nice selection) and I'm going to add mine to a his list so we can build a everything product list that we have right now. It's going to take a bunch of work to test these all one by one to confirm they work...

If your thinking about an "attachment" type thing. I do like the thought but, I would rather have a upload section (FTP type thing), then one of the mods, or others that you select, grab the app, test it, get details on it and one of the selected people to create a post with the attachment. This way it does not become a mess and we can put everything in a format that everyone can read and understand what they do. And maybe a basic review of the app in current days, it's noted bugs or how well it works.

Just some food for thoughts... As you know I am a very passionate user, so I want to see anything that could make the experience better, we should have archive of it, even if personally we are not going to use it, it does not mean others wont like it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Either way you decide to go, just keep in mind, as David said, the people hanging around this forums are just about the last WMC'ers left who are trying to do something like this. I brought this up in another thread also but I haven't looked on any torrent networks for WMC plugins yet. If anyone can browse torrent sites, then that would probably be a good place to look for WMC downloads. I also understand the risks of doing something like this too though

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm

jachin99 wrote:Either way you decide to go, just keep in mind, as David said, the people hanging around this forums are just about the last WMC'ers left who are trying to do something like this. I brought this up in another thread also but I haven't looked on any torrent networks for WMC plugins yet. If anyone can browse torrent sites, then that would probably be a good place to look for WMC downloads. I also understand the risks of doing something like this too though
I keep an eye on the torrent networks for WMC stuff... a few years ago there was a few but, nothing new....

I do talk to a bunch of WMC fans on Twitter time to time, so if we can get a upload spot done, I will provide the link to the people who I know so maybe they can help. A few BIG devs back in the WMC days...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

It looks like a few others are making headway preserving android apps around these forums also so lets not forget about IOS & Android

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

I made available my limited archive to DavidinCT as he mentioned. He has some filtering to do between our collections. This may take some time.

Once he's had time to sort we'll get in touch and figure out what we have and what we need to try and track down and then test the best we can. I don't know the time frame that this will all take place as we both have regular jobs and families as well.. but I would like to get in touch with holidayboy once we get our stuff in order and figure out the best way forward form here.

David.. Let me know what you need from me. I'll help when I can to try and help make this happen with regards to finding/filtering. I don't have any VM's setup to test with unfortunately but I can if need be.. I would just have to figure out how to do all that again as it's been some time since I setup and used a VM. Just let me know how I can help.

I believe it's a good time to get this going before it's all lost in cyber space for good.
newfiend~

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm

newfiend wrote:I made available my limited archive to DavidinCT as he mentioned. He has some filtering to do between our collections. This may take some time.

Once he's had time to sort we'll get in touch and figure out what we have and what we need to try and track down and then test the best we can. I don't know the time frame that this will all take place as we both have regular jobs and families as well.. but I would like to get in touch with holidayboy once we get our stuff in order and figure out the best way forward form here.

David.. Let me know what you need from me. I'll help when I can to try and help make this happen with regards to finding/filtering. I don't have any VM's setup to test with unfortunately but I can if need be.. I would just have to figure out how to do all that again as it's been some time since I setup and used a VM. Just let me know how I can help.

I believe it's a good time to get this going before it's all lost in cyber space for good.
newfiend~
Thanks and will do. I will use your folder layout and put my stuff in there with some details, just to have everything we have... and we can take the next step. Testing each app one by one will take time, something that I seem not to have a lot of these days but, I should be able to get through it.

Mods I think we gave some good ideas.... feedback ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

The easiest way to get up and running quickly will be to set up a simple ftp area I guess...

We could have anonymous read access so there's no logging in needed to download I suppose?

Unless you would prefer to have folks login to get access to your hard fought bounty?

I'll get started on it tomorrow (UK time) as I'm out tonight.

Sent via Tapatalk
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I think the wiki link is a good idea as well.

It will make it easy for less techie folks (are there many non techie wmc users ?!) to grab the files from the ftp server without having to worry about it being an ftp server!

Sent via Tapatalk
Rob.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

holidayboy wrote:The easiest way to get up and running quickly will be to set up a simple ftp area I guess...

We could have anonymous read access so there's no logging in needed to download I suppose?

Unless you would prefer to have folks login to get access to your hard fought bounty?

Sent via Tapatalk
To me it doesn't matter if they have to login or not.. that's up to you guys that run this site. I have no problem sharing my data with others. I'm just here to help in anyway I can.

You all have helped me over the years with help and support here when I needed it and I have no problem returning the favor to current and future users of WMC.

If you guys would prefer to share the data with only registered users of TGB.tv that is fine too. To me it makes no difference.
newfiend~

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 am

holidayboy wrote:The easiest way to get up and running quickly will be to set up a simple ftp area I guess...

Sent via Tapatalk
I think an annoymous logon with a virus protection would be the be the best option. We might get stuff we might not. I think once I get the time to sort through everything and lay it all out we should have a good starting point.

As we are talking a upload section for everyone, I think this should be done with annoymous logon, Why ? I would hate for someone with a possable RARE WMC program give up because it's a PIA to upload. If the annoymous logon upload becomes a PIA (Viris, hackers using FTP storage, etc), then if the option is there to connect from a TGB.tv authenicated person or a logon that we can figure out. This might work or it might be worthless, no way to find out till we have it....

So, Let's take a vote people. Just trying to see what other members thoughts are.

1. Completely revamp the WIkI. Apps that we have access to will be availabe to download from a source listed. Who ever tests the app, can do a minor review of it, What does it do ? does it work ? How well does it work ? etc. We should have a standard layout and mods or selected people would be the only ones to set up each one.

2. Lay it out in the fourms. A few based on type of app, but, Only mods or selected people will be able to post on the thread (new topics, replies acceptable). One person will install the app, test it, make sure it 100% works, etc and in a pre-set format, lay the details of the app. THis way you can go to a forum and read about an app and downlaod from the FTP if you want to try it.

This is a thought... just a thought. This will take a lot of work but, when it's done, it can be a very neat place to FIND every WMC app we can get our hands on...

Defined" A WMC app can be a program installed, or a method to get a program or something in WMC to be able to use via remote (ex: Youtube TV with Chrome), so directions on how to setup, step by step, or the install app tips would be needed.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 am

I think that we do need to keep control over uploads to a certain extent - mainly because due to the hosting package we use (it's cheap-ish so we can afford to pay it without displaying ads / passing on costs!), there is no easy way for us to run virus / malware scanning tools on the server itself, also it will protect the uploaded files from being deleted, overwritten, or altered.

We could maybe have an upload button for any visitor to submit new files quickly without having to be logged in anywhere - the new items would go to to a "holding area", or maybe get emailed to one or more people.

Specific users with write access to the ftp site could then check the files before moving them to the main ftp area for people to view and download?

I just think it's better if we can set things up so that the files visible for download have at least been checked by somebody - and that we can be sure once they have been checked they will not be tampered with.

It possibly seems over the top but we've managed to keep tgb.tv clean up until now and I'm sure we all want to keep it that way :thumbup:

What does everybody think? Any other ideas?

It's nice to have something new going on!
Rob.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 pm

holidayboy wrote:I think that we do need to keep control over uploads to a certain extent - mainly because due to the hosting package we use (it's cheap-ish so we can afford to pay it without displaying ads / passing on costs!), there is no easy way for us to run virus / malware scanning tools on the server itself, also it will protect the uploaded files from being deleted, overwritten, or altered.

We could maybe have an upload button for any visitor to submit new files quickly without having to be logged in anywhere - the new items would go to to a "holding area", or maybe get emailed to one or more people.

Specific users with write access to the ftp site could then check the files before moving them to the main ftp area for people to view and download?

I just think it's better if we can set things up so that the files visible for download have at least been checked by somebody - and that we can be sure once they have been checked they will not be tampered with.

It possibly seems over the top but we've managed to keep tgb.tv clean up until now and I'm sure we all want to keep it that way :thumbup:

What does everybody think? Any other ideas?

It's nice to have something new going on!
Sounds like a nice idea. I like the idea of an easy to use "button" to upload so it's easy for everyone and anyone to upload an app they have access to. even if it's dup stuff. Then locking it down to a holding area so we can check it out one by one to see what it is.

Are you thinking just a FTP site for everything where people go in and browse content?

I think (of course my thouyghts)we should just revamp the Wiki with links to every app we have, so people can add comments " hey it works great !" or "Hey it does not work for me" type stuff. With a direct link to each app. Might take more work to start but, it will be neater in the long run.

So a NEAT FTP layout, and a part of the WiKi with Apps available that are all on the FTP.... For example at the very top of the Wiki "available apps" and list them one by one.

I think this will keep it neat and something flexible enough to expand on and take a use of the feature of this site. It's something I love about this site, simple, not full of ads and passionate users.. I would like to be on the list of people testing or helping admin the project. I think we can build something great.

Just my 0.00000000000001 :)

It is nice something is going on, I hear ya... Let's hope it helps some devs to build some minor stuff....that would be cool !
Last edited by DavidinCT on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm

I can be a tester because to be honest as soon as the links are available I'm going to test them no matter what. In terms of determining whether a plugin works or not, I have found a few plugins that where the plugin itself works fine but a few of the content links are broken. I. E. Macrotube. I think you sort these plugins initially you should divide them into works, partially works, doesnt work. You might also want to consider categorizing them by Windows versions as well. I think probably in order to do this properly you will need to build a table. I have seen cases in the past (Music browser) where the program itself worked fine but the installers were built improperly (built for a specific version of Windows). You should probably also include version information and if you can find it - information from the vendor or developer about the plugin itself

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:48 pm

jachin99 wrote:I can be a tester because to be honest as soon as the links are available I'm going to test them no matter what. In terms of determining whether a plugin works or not, I have found a few plugins that where the plugin itself works fine but a few of the content links are broken. I. E. Macrotube. I think you sort these plugins initially you should divide them into works, partially works, doesnt work. You might also want to consider categorizing them by Windows versions as well. I think probably in order to do this properly you will need to build a table. I have seen cases in the past (Music browser) where the program itself worked fine but the installers were built improperly (built for a specific version of Windows). You should probably also include version information and if you can find it - information from the vendor or developer about the plugin itself
Yea, a common issue with a lot of WMC applications that depended on a external source. With a mod of some type, some can work like Macrotune but, others, like Radiotime, is done completely.

I think in this setup *IF* we use the Wiki we can have modded versions (to get working) along with the original one.

I have a few Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro and Windows 8.1 VMs setup... So coping over an app to keep the VM in a controlled environment (incase it's a virus) I am already setup for (VMware workstation on my primary home desktop). I think it's a critical thing when your doing a free upload type thing.

On the fourm or the WIKI, I think it's critical that we test and confirm if it works and what version of WIndows, with every version we can find and of course credit on each one for the dev who make it, if that information is available. All setup in a standard format.

App Name
App type
App description
Dev info
Available Version info
Supported OS
Install directions or work arounds..

Something to that effect.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 pm

David, this looks good to me. Something to consider is this whole thing is going to be a kind of living document for a while, I.E. we will start off with a bunch of plugins we know nothing about, and hopefully end up with as many plugins working correctly as possible. You need to be able to make changes to the plugins center as these changes occur so having a good workflow, and documenting it as things change will help keep everyone focused, and updated. It might also be a good idea to do a little Dev recruiting, OR find a few people who want to learn how to make changes to plugins so that they can make them work. This way there could be roles like Tester, Dev, Fixer, Etc.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Are you thinking just a FTP site for everything where people go in and browse content?
I think we'll be able to use FTP as a back end with the wiki as an optional front end to access files through (I need to double check how we originally set things up there to be sure).

It also means that there's a quick way for users to just get at the files using FTP if they want to.

I'll try a few things on a copy of the site to make sure things work as they should.

Work is pretty manic over the next couple of weeks but I'll get on it as soon as I can bit by bit.
Rob.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I think DavidinCT would be perfect to head this up.. he's sounds setup for this more than I. I don't mind helping out as well. Only problem for me is I manage a store so I'm constantly at work. I can do some work on it in the evenings after work when I have time. Just let me know what you guys need and I'll help as often as I can.
newfiend~

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm

My life is pretty slow at the moment. I can rip through plugins quite a bit.