NOS Ceton 4-Tuner PCI Firesale

Find a great price on media center gear? Share it with other TGBers!
Post Reply
User avatar
dopdahl

Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

NOS Ceton 4-Tuner PCI Firesale

#1

Post by dopdahl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 pm


adam1991

Posts: 2871
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 pm

sigh. I remember waiting ANXIOUSLY for the privilege of spending $431 to get one ($510 today).

I even seem to remember a delivery tracking thread...

Of course, now I no longer have cable TV and the streaming world has taken over.

User avatar
dopdahl

Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by dopdahl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pm

The good 'ol days...

Rickt1962

Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#4

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:36 pm

I am waiting on the 6 tuner HDhomerun which will have support from the maker just like the 3 tuner still has support.

Ceton dropped support :(
Last edited by Rickt1962 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 pm
sigh. I remember waiting ANXIOUSLY for the privilege of spending $431 to get one ($510 today).

I even seem to remember a delivery tracking thread...

Of course, now I no longer have cable TV and the streaming world has taken over.
Yep, I remember the tracking thread from the original TGB.com. The thread was updated by FrankAZ. The Ceton quad tuner was exciting for WMC users because prior to Ceton and SD, the only CableCard tuner was the ATI All in Wonder which only had one tuner inside. Both the internal and external version of the tuner was designed by a moron. The internal tuner sat in a PCIe slot, but had no PCIe contacts. You had to run a USB A/B cable from inside of your tower to an external USB port. The external tuner was ugly and larger than most cable modems/routers.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#6

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Rickt1962 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:36 pm
I am waiting on the 8 tuner HDhomerun which will have support from the maker just like the 3 tuner still has support.
ATSC and ClearQAM only. CableCard only supports six streams per card.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

User avatar
FrankAZ

Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: Chandler, AZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

#7

Post by FrankAZ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:38 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 pm
sigh. I remember waiting ANXIOUSLY for the privilege of spending $431 to get one ($510 today).

I even seem to remember a delivery tracking thread...

Of course, now I no longer have cable TV and the streaming world has taken over.
Ah yes, those were the days. I dredged up the old spreadsheet and here is a link to the last plot I published. My own InfiniTV4 is still in the HTPC I built in 2010 and it has been running continuously, excepting long powercuts, since then. I still use it from time to time to play DRM protected shows I recorded and archived to a server.

- Frank
i3-540 | DH57DD | 4GB DDR3-1333 | InfiniTV4 \ 2250 | Intel SSD \ WD 1TB | Silverstone GD05

jachin99

Posts: 1237
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#8

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Scallica wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 pm
adam1991 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 pm
sigh. I remember waiting ANXIOUSLY for the privilege of spending $431 to get one ($510 today).

I even seem to remember a delivery tracking thread...

Of course, now I no longer have cable TV and the streaming world has taken over.
Yep, I remember the tracking thread from the original TGB.com. The thread was updated by FrankAZ. The Ceton quad tuner was exciting for WMC users because prior to Ceton and SD, the only CableCard tuner was the ATI All in Wonder which only had one tuner inside. Both the internal and external version of the tuner was designed by a moron. The internal tuner sat in a PCIe slot, but had no PCIe contacts. You had to run a USB A/B cable from inside of your tower to an external USB port. The external tuner was ugly and larger than most cable modems/routers.
I actually got one of these ATI cards with an old computer I bought. I could never tell if the PCI slot was broken on the card, or if it was designed that way. I think I still have it somewhere.

Post Reply