Channels DVR and PlayOn Cloud

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
john321

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels DVR and PlayOn Cloud

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:12 am

Way back in WMC-land, I tried using an add-on app called "PlayOn".

The PlayOn app was supposed to be able to "record" stuff from streaming sites like Netflix. My experience back then was hit-and-miss. Mostly miss.

Nowadays, there is a software called "Channels DVR", and there is an app for Channels DVR called "PlayOn Cloud", which purports to be able to "record" stuff from many of the most popular streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon video, Disney+, etc).

The theory is this: Use an OTA tuner in conjunction with PlayOn Cloud, and you can record all OTA content, plus content from streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon, Showtime, HBO, etc.

Then, as the theory goes... you can subscribe to each of those streaming services for only a few months per year, instead of paying for all of them 7x24x365.

That sounds great. Each streaming service is preventing other streaming services from carrying their content. For example, Disney doesn't allow Netflix to stream Disney-owned movies. So, if it's possible to subscribe to Disney+ for a month, and "record" those movies/shows using PlayOn Cloud and ChannelsDVR... and then watch them when I have time... that would be perfect.

Does anyone here on this site have experience using PlayOn Cloud with Channels DVR?

Please tell me how reliable it has been, and what problems you have had.

Thanks in advance.

john321

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:46 am

I'm a ghost from the WMC past. I will appreciate any info you have about Channels DVR and PlayOn Cloud.

Thanks.