WMC replacement - suggestions???

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
lawson23

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC replacement - suggestions???

Post by lawson23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:34 pm

First not sure this is the best forum location for this post, so feel free to relocate it if needed.
I would like to ask the group what you are moving to from WMC?

I'm thinking of installing epg123 and don't mind the idea of doing this but wondering is it time to give up on wmc?

My pc is getting old I would like to get a new one or upgrade and I'm sure MS is going to freak out and not let me use the same windows keys on my new system. My xboxs I use for extenders are also getting of age. I lost one when MS did it's last update like last year it was a 4GB flash and I think the flash went bad because I set it to use a USB key which worked till the update requirement. Once that happened I could not install the update and had to switch to my last xbox 360.

Here is what I need.
A large OTA recording system with 2 to 4 tuners that I can centrally place.
Then a way to be able to play the content or live tv connection on a semi cheap remote hardware device. Up to 3 possibly. Nothing has to be wireless as I prefer wired connections.
I also want to reduce the amount to be paid for guide data. I don't mind schedules direct cost of $25 per year but some of these $5+ per month for eternity is not what I want to use.

My current thought is Mythbuntu with remote Raspberry PI's around.

Any suggestion and/or ideas??? I love WMC but I think it is time to give up on it possibly.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Topic moved to the lounge.

If all you need is OTA recording, I recommend purchasing an HDHomerun Quattro OTA network tuner and using Plex or Emby for centralized recording and storage. You can use whatever device you want for the Plex and Emby endpoints (Roku/FireTV/AppleTV). Some of the new smart TVs have the Plex and Emby app available.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Channels DVR.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 am

I moved to jriver because it has a lot of the features I enjoy on wmc with a lot more customization options. You can still use epg123 via xmltv as well. The downsides are that the customization aspect can take up a lot of your time if you choose to do so, and I'm not sure if you can play live TV on their raspi units. The big selling point for me was the outstanding PQ. For various devices and Android I run a Emby server.

lawson23

Post by lawson23 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:38 pm

So I'm thinking of going the Tablo route does anyone have any experiences or reasons why this would be a bad idea?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 am

Their hardware is cheap and unreliable. They want you to put a USB drive onto their tuner/recorder box. And most importantly, their DVR system stinks. Anyone who's used WMC will shudder at how they started from scratch, ignored WMC/ReplayTV, and rolled their own very bad setup. Not to mention, you can't view your recordings if your internet is out. Truth.

How about Channels DVR on a regular computer or a NAS? Just add SiliconDust HDHR.