Cable Card Support going away on Spectrum

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
LeonMc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cable Card Support going away on Spectrum

Post by LeonMc » Fri May 12, 2023 8:08 pm

I have now received my second letter from Spectrum/Charter warning me that cable card support is going away in the future as their future equipment upgrades will not support it. Sounds like a smoke screen to get rid of having to support cable cards. Also it came from the director of marketing communications, why would that be? Of course they are offering me a "wonderful" deal on a cable box and cloud dvr. Which I am sure will double in price after 90 days.

So I guess I wanted to see if anyone else is getting notice and if they have actually turned off cable card support in some areas. They gave no dates what so ever.

If I have to give it up, I can only come up with a mish mash of web sites and streaming services to watch what I watch now and would probably have to put up with more commercials than ever. I've been using MCE since the beginning and I am so spoiled by it. I guess I can turn on my MCE computer and watch some old recorded shows from time to time to remember how it was in the "old days".

I guess I wanted to vent, so feel free to join in. I may have to go buy an OTA card and put up an antenna again. Oh, joy. Unfortunately that doesn't pick up what all I want to watch. In the mean time, I guess I will wait them out to see if they really do pull the rug out from under me.

-- Depressed in Dallas

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm

Been following this since it 1st hit my RADAR ~last June...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33421 ... RD-support

Seems to be predicated on "High-Split" rollout & associated incompatibilities...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33642 ... lit-Launch

which, if the discussions are accurate, could be a long, drawn-out process depending on your market.

Sadly, it was inevitable when the "must carry" mandate was abandoned. It's been a great ride & I will miss it when:

a) I move
b) they "pull the plug"

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sun May 14, 2023 11:55 am

They already don't support protected programming on cablecards, for over a year now. The tuning adapter is useless.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Well, time for me to say goodbye to the Green Button community. Though I'll keep WMC for the library of movies and shows we've saved over the years, it's no longer going to be the way we watch TV and record TV. The last two weeks we've had our Cable Card suddenly stop working, and after calling Spectrum and scheduling a repair call, I would get a text saying service had been restored, and lo and behold it was working. Then a few days later the same thing. Talked to someone at their Cable Card Support division who said that although I hadn't gotten any letters from them yet, it was scheduled, and though he wouldn't say exactly when they were pulling the plug on Cable Cards (I think they are trying to convince all Cable Card users to switch to other services, then say they are dropping it because nobody uses it), he said I would be wise to proceed when I said I was ready to drop cable TV and switch to Youtube TV.

I signed up for the free trial of Youtube TV last night, and it looks like it will work, though I don't like how they "record" programs there. You can't set to record only new programs or only from certain channels. And the guide, like all others is snail-pace slow compared to using WMC. But I guess it will have to suffice. Bonus is my TV bill is cut in half now.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:33 am

Sad to hear but the writing is on the wall when the must carry mandate was abandoned by the FCC. I'll ride my out until the end whenever Comcast drops support then it will be Antenna and streaming from then on out.