Streaming movies from PC to Smart TV

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
Bolderboulder

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming movies from PC to Smart TV

Post by Bolderboulder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm

I am a new member to this forum, so please forgive what may seem to be a simplistic question.
I have several hundred DVDs as well as several hundred movies on the ten HDDs on my home PC which is running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I want to rip the DVDs so I can sell the physical discs to free up storage space.
How can I remotely access those video files via my Samsung Smart TV to browse and select a movie to play instead of having to use a physical DVD? Do I need to set up a media server? I am not at all familiar with Windows Media Center.
Thanks!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Bolderboulder wrote:I want to rip the DVDs so I can sell the physical discs
ummmm...yikes.

Strictly speaking, in discussing this--with your stated goal--we would be engaging in furthering an illegal act, to wit stealing video (bootlegging/piracy). And THAT is something the moderators frown on.

I will let others chime in here as they see fit, one way or another.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:56 am

Bolderboulder wrote:I am a new member to this forum, so please forgive what may seem to be a simplistic question.
I have several hundred DVDs as well as several hundred movies on the ten HDDs on my home PC which is running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I want to rip the DVDs so I can sell the physical discs to free up storage space.
How can I remotely access those video files via my Samsung Smart TV to browse and select a movie to play instead of having to use a physical DVD? Do I need to set up a media server? I am not at all familiar with Windows Media Center.
Thanks!
Discussion of DRM (copy-protection) circumvention is not allowed here. However, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube and "how to" guides on the web for your viewing.

As for streaming media to your TV, look into Emby or Plex. Both are supported on Samsung.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... supported-
https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Bolderboulder

Post by Bolderboulder » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you for the replies. However, how is it illegal to do that to my own, purchased DVD?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Bolderboulder wrote:Thank you for the replies. However, how is it illegal to do that to my own, purchased DVD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_M ... yright_Act
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 pm

Bolderboulder wrote:Thank you for the replies. However, how is it illegal to do that to my own, purchased DVD?
Oh, sorry for not clarifying. You said you wanted to rip them THEN sell them.

I will always defend your right to rip your movies as backup and/or use in a different format (streaming locally), but if you sell them they are not yours anymore--and you shouldn't keep the ripped versions of DVDs you've sold.

That's all.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 am

"How" is that Hollywood heavily "lobbies" congress to get laws passed in their favor.

Yes, it is technically illegal to circumvent the encryption on DVDs. So any time you make a copy of one (even for your own use) it is illegal.

I personally think that making a copy for you own use should be legal, unless you are doing what it sounds like you want to do, sell the DVDs afterwards while still having the benefit of the digital copies.

Although I do make recordings of movies from cable and keep them (but only until I watch them), so I guess that is almost the same thing (except I am not circumventing any copy protection, so I guess that is the difference).

Really, the law is messed up and doesn't make much sense.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 am

Of all the things that could be clarified, this concept requires the least clarification. Basic moral integrity should drive the understanding that once you sell the DVDs, you are no longer entitled to watch them until and unless you buy or rent them again, or someone brings his copy over for a private viewing.

Once you sell the DVDs, common sense says that you have chosen that you don't want to watch that entertainment again.

Anyway, this is as close to discussing the bypassing of DRM as it gets. That was my thought.

Bolderboulder

Post by Bolderboulder » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Thank you very much for all of the information. I've decided to keep the DVDs and forgo ripping them......I don't have all of those free hours to do that! I will just use Plex for the movies I already have on my PC.