Dell PowerConnect 5324

Talk about setting up your home network.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks guys. I made the adjustment through HTTP. Simply clicking to form a check mark next to Fast link. Ports G6 and G10 are reserved for Echo's only.

Hope that's all right?

Echo's boot time while plugged into the switch is now the same as if it were plugged into the router.

15 seconds to the Ceton splash screen
15 seconds to the MAC, IP, and Version screen (gets IP instantly)
15 seconds to WMC
45 seconds total
Attachments
SWITCH005.jpg

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 am

Yep..you're good to go. Save the config.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Venom51 wrote:This is what you want. Enable portfast on any ports connected to an end point device.

User Guidelines
•This feature should be used only with interfaces connected to end stations. Otherwise, an accidental topology loop could cause a data packet loop and disrupt switch and network operations.
So I should enable portfast on all devices that I know "for sure" to be end points. Such as my workstations, extenders, STB's, TV's.

On those 9 lines running upstairs, to the renters, it probably would not be a good idea to enable portfast for them. There possibly could be 9 more switches that that I don't know "for sure" to be end points.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 am

If they can't manage to create a cabling loop back you the 5324 I wouldn't sweat it. Spanning Tree and it's associated mechanisms are there to detect any cabling loops. If you were running multiple LAGs or Trunks than it would be a bigger issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Decided to take Wireshark for a little spin last night. I remembered your suggestion from that (streaming gone to heck) thread, which was to simply set up a port mirror in the switch and capture away. All of that worked out OK. Wireshark is on g14 and Echo is on g5.

The problem I am having is I was trying to return g14 and g5 to the way they were prior to the Wireshark experiment. I am probably just looking in the wrong place. Could you point me in the correct direction?

I can put a check in the Remove box for Source Port g5, but when I click Apply Changes, all it does is remove the check mark.

The console got buried with a bunch of construction crap. Am I going to have to dig it out to reverse the mirror. If so, forget it, g13 is in the same room as g14.
Attachments
Mirror003.JPG
Mirror002.JPG
Mirror001.JPG

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Clicking remove and apply settings should remove it. You can't however manage the switch from the same port you are sniffing on...

You would need to connect to the switch via wireless over the IP network or connect to another port to manage the switch.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:42 am

Venom51 wrote:Clicking remove and apply settings should remove it. You can't however manage the switch from the same port you are sniffing on...

You would need to connect to the switch via wireless over the IP network or connect to another port to manage the switch.
Thanks for getting back to me. Clicking remove and apply settings appears to do nothing, other than removing the check from the remove box. I am managing the switch from a different workstation. I thought click remove and apply should do what you say too. Must be something else wrong.

In the mean time, the whole project has been cancelled. The PC that I had delegated to the sniffing task has since "blew up". I was doing a couple updates on it last night, and the room started to smell like burning trash. I think the smell was coming out of the monitor, but I have to tear down the box to see if its ok. Been having nothing but trouble with that Dell T3400 that I was planning to use as my sniffer. First the Quattro's DVI wouldn't work, then the new video card was griping about the VGA cable, now the monitor smells like burnt trash. I'll grab another off the shelf and start fresh.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Then telnet or SSH access to the CLI on the switch may be necessary for you. It all worked yesterday when I ran through it here both adding and removing the port mirror.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:33 pm

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 am

Thanks Venom. Telnet worked just fine, after I learned how to spell minitor correctly.
Attachments
NoPortMonitorG5.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
In the mean time, the whole project has been cancelled. The PC that I had delegated to the sniffing task has since "blew up". I was doing a couple updates on it last night, and the room started to smell like burning trash. I think the smell was coming out of the monitor, but I have to tear down the box to see if its ok. Been having nothing but trouble with that Dell T3400 that I was planning to use as my sniffer. First the Quattro's DVI wouldn't work, then the new video card was griping about the VGA cable, now the monitor smells like burnt trash. I'll grab another off the shelf and start fresh.
Got that one straightened out too. Appears to have been a combination of problems. The monitor was failing and eventually burnt to a crisp. A new VGA cable postponed the inevitable. A single drive was set to RAID. The T3400 was set to S3. S3 caused it to sleep and not wake up. All of that caused CLASSPNP.SYS to freeze during boot. Everything seems fine this morning.

tad

Post by tad » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Deleted.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Note to self. T-3400

Update bios from A08 to A14

Update drivers:

-chipset Version: 9.1.1.1025
-Broadcom Nic- Version: 14.1.0 use default/options install
-Soundmax Version 7.0.0.1
-Quaddro FX 570- Version 9.18.13.3523 Date 3/4/2014

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Could I get some opinions/suggestions on how to correct this problem?

My house is about 6000 square feet. I kept about a 1000 for myself and chopped up the rest into 9 little apartments. Each of these 9 apartments has one Cat5e. Some of them only have one device which they just plug in. Some of the others have multiple devices and wanted Wifi when they got here. I told them to get a Gig router, configure the router as an Access point, and build your own Wifi. All IP's are assigned by my router, so I can keep an eye on things, also I have the passwords to all the renters routers in case I need to change something. This type of arrangement has worked out well up until now.

One of the 9 got a new TV recently. I have finally managed to observe a pattern. When LED40 appears as a media device in my Network list, my internet connection gets slow, to the point where I get spinning circle when trying to access a link I'm trying to go to. Sometimes I get the No Connection page. The tenant refuses to turn off the media server, which is ok. I should have set my network up differently to begin with.

So here is where I am at. I have this PowerConnect5324 and was thinking about setting up 4 VLANS and trunk the 4 separate VLANS into the router. Then use Static Routes in the router. Another idea suggested by my research is to get another router and create 4 subnets keep one for myself. Not sure which way to go. Don't mind spending, got a little spare time now. Have a Console and Putty set up all ready. just need the commands.

Another idea was to write a rule for the router. I have Wireshark and a Mirrored port, just need to know what to look for.

I thought that simply changing the name of my WORKGROUP would keep this one out but that didn't work, LED40 is still there.

So the question is: What is the best way to go and can you give me some help getting there?
Attachments
StaticRoutes.JPG
SamsungLed40.jpg

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:32 am

Here are the problems you'll run into with this.

1. It likely won't fix the connectivity impact of the LED40. Their device is probably doing something it shouldn't or they are using something like Netflix and sucking up your bandwidth.

2. While you have no issue at the switch your router would need to need to support VLAN tagging and trunk ports to handle multiple VLANs out the same connection. Most consumer routers do not and would require a real piece of hardware. Plenty cheap CIsco 2811,2821's or even something like the ERL from Ubiquiti can be had for reasonable dollars. A learning curve will come with each of those however.

3. It would also need to support option 82 or dhcp helper addresses. Other wise the router would have to support multiple instances of the dhcp services. 1 for each VLAN.

I would suggest the following. Let each tenant pay for their own connection. Let the cable company drop another modem into place and then build a 2 port vlan in the switch. One port for the cable modem and one port for their feed to the apartment. They can then place their own NAT/Wireless router in their apartment. You are isolated from them and your connection is unaffected. No need for the routers to support vlan tagging. Another plus is there is no additional cabling for you to do. Just a splitter for the cable company and another DOCSIS modem.

The other option is firewalling but that's something that could bite you in the ass later or become a pain for you to manage. However if the internet access is part of the rent then it may be the way to go.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:03 am

1- Port #16 Yes on both. Something is running Netflix and I think he tried to setup his PS4 as an extender. There are some strange problems with that wire. This one is the whole reason for looking for an idea. Other than disconnection, can you think of some rule I can write for the router?
2-I was thinking about looking into DD-WRT and getting a router that supports VLAN tagging and trunk ports. Maybe another ASUS. I'll have to think the Cisco 2811 idea, I noticed they have really come down in price. I should get one and just take my time with it. I would get it right eventually. As I recall the 5324 was a time consuming project for me. If I went the Cisco route I have all the basics setup all ready, and this time there is no rush. Sure has been worth it. I has been doing 700-800 GB/month. I booted it a few times but other than that it's never been off for 3 years.
3-Helper addresses that's another thing I would have to look into with DD-WRT

4-This sounds like something I can do now. I'll call Comcast tomorrow. So all my stuff would be on VLAN1 12 ports + 1 for the router 13 total. Then VLAN2 would be 9 ports + 1 for the router or were you suggesting we put the problem there by himself. Yeah, Solitary confinement, I like that. What about the other 8 apartments? I'll re read what you said, I'm obviously missing something.

Firewall? Well Port 16 (the problem port) their lease is up in 4 months. It affects the PQ on my extenders, and totally screws the internet when he has that TV on. So the problem will be gone. Never know if there will be a bigger problem as a replacement. The Internet is paid separately.

I think I'm liking 4, and work towards 2 and 3.

edit:

I found Vlan Tagged Traffic Filter in the router I have. Is that the same as what you called Vlan Tagging?
Attachments
VlanTaggedFilter.jpg

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:39 am

The Asus only looks for tags on the wan port and would only be useful if you had fiber service and wanted to connect directly to the ONT. The 5324 supports MAC based ACL's. You could build an ACL to kill his TV traffic at the switch port and keep it from ever getting to the router. Might be something simple to fix it until they move out.

#4 would simply be your stuff in VLAN1 and then only provide 2 ports in a separate VLAN for the troublesome renter. 1 to connect the additional cable modem and one to feed the line to that apartment. Everyone else stays put in VLAN 1 if they are posing no issue.

Have you mirrored the traffic on port 16 and looked at it in a packet capture? Is the TV flooding the switch with broadcast traffic? Is it unicast to specific IP's? I'd be interested to see why it affects your extenders in a single switch gigabit layer 2 network. I can't think of a single thing I could do other than a network loop or a truly malfunctioning network device that would impact the other hosts on my network.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:06 am

I did figure out a way to kill Netflix at the router. I will read up on the 5324's MAC based ACL's. I haven't called Comcast yet about adding another modem. I have been looking for a consumer grade VLAN capable router. DD-WRT only supports 3 so far in my search. One of them an RT-N16 supports 802.1Q, DHCPD (IP's for each subnet), uses firewall scripts to separate the subnets, and looks like a fairly simple "Beginners Project" as it comes with cut and paste commands.

I gotcha on #4.

I did quite a bit of capturing on port 16 prior to convincing him it was time to toss the Belkin 150 for an Asus RT-AC56. There has been considerable improvement, but the problem still exists. Right now opening an internet page or clicking a link is crisp and immediate (No LED40 in My Network Devices). When my clicks are non responsive, I look in my Network and the LED40 is there. I started a post when I first noticed there was a network problem. It sort of explains how I got to this point.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 665#p85665

I have some captures of 16 prior to his RT-AC56 upgrade. I thought we had it beat. Guess not. I will say the problem is less intense, so there has been some progress. Ill start capturing again when the problem exists. In Wireshark, how do I recognize...

1-flooding with broadcast
2-unicast specific to IP's
3-loop
4-malfunctioning device.

Code: Select all

VLANs and firewall - Asus RT-N16 - how-to

[edit] Setting up Vlans on an Asus Rt-N16

Big credit to 80sguitartist for this 

Here is what will be accomplished: 
## The physical Port 1 on the back of router called LAN1 will broadcast an IP address on the 192.168.1.X subnet. 
## Physical Port 2 (LAN2) will broadcast an IP address on the 192.168.2.X subnet. 
## Physical Port 3 (LAN3) will broadcast an IP address on the 192.168.3.X subnet. 
## Physical Port 4 (LAN4) will broadcast an IP address on the 192.168.4.X subnet. 
## NO Firewall scripts have been put into place to prevent anyone from talking to each other on other subnets. (a firewall example is shown in the next section) 

This is a tutorial on getting VLAN's working NOT restricting Access. If everything looks good to those on the board I will update this with Firewall scripts but for now I just want to make sure what I have is correct and there are no major flaws. 

- Everyone should be able to get out to the Internet. (Obviously, you need a working Internet connection going into the WAN port.) 
##1. First and Foremost. I have only tested these instructions on the following build’s of DD-WRT. Others could work but your mileage may vary. 
DD-WRT v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
DD-WRT v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

##2. Freshly install one of the builds above and reset to factory defaults. I have found the easiest way to do this is to log in to the router via telnet command and type in “erase nvram”. Hit the Enter key and then type in “reboot”. The Factory defaults will be restored. After you have reset everything wait a couple of minutes before you proceed. Go take a piss or something. 

##3. Plug your computer into LAN1 on the back of the router. 
##4. Open a browser (IE or Firefox, not sure about Chrome) and go to 192.168.1.1. 
##5. Change the username and password when prompted. I used the typical username “root” and password “admin”. 
##6. Once you changed the username and password and you know they work Close Internet Explorer. 
##7. Open a Command prompt and Telnet into the router 192.168.1.1, log in, and then input these commands below. After each line, hit the Enter key. 
nvram set vlan1ports="4 8"
nvram set vlan3ports="2 8"
nvram set vlan4ports=”1 8”
nvram set vlan5ports=”3 8”
nvram commit
reboot

##8. Gonna have to wait a few minutes for it to reboot. Get a cup of coffee or something. 
##9. Login into web interface 192.168.1.1 and then go to Setup-->Vlans. 
Uncheck Port 1 and put a checkmark for VLAN 4 for Port 1.
Uncheck Port 2 and put a checkmark for VLAN 3 for Port 2.
Uncheck Port 3 and put a checkmark for VLAN5 for Port 3.

##10. Click Save 
##11. Go to the Administration tab and then click Reboot Router. You must do this to get the Vlan 2, 3 and 4 options to show up in the next steps. 

##12. Yep, you’re waiting a few minutes for it to reboot again. Just think about how happy you’ll be when this works. But make sure to think for a couple minutes. 

##13. Log back in to the router and go to Setup-->Networking. 

##14. Go down to Port Setup and for each of the Network Configurations for vlan3, vlan4, and vlan5 click on Unbridged. This will let you enter in the values below (enter those values) 
Network Configuration vlan3 = Unbridged
IP address: 192.168.3.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Network Configuration vlan4 = Unbridged
IP address: 192.168.4.1

Network Configuration vlan5 = Unbridged
IP address: 192.168.2.1

##15. After all the above have been entered click on Save 

##16. You should still be in the Setup-->Networking Page. Go to the bottom and for the section on DHCPD click on Add under Multiple DHCP Server. 

##17. Click on the Dropdown where it currently says eth0 and choose vlan3. Then click on Save. 

##18. Again, click on the Add button in the DHCP section like you just did. This time we want to change the DHCP 1 entry to vlan 4. Then click on Save. 

##19. One more time, click on the Add button and change it to vlan5. Then click on Save. 

##20. Now click on Apply Settings. 

##21. Go to the Administration tab and then click Reboot Router. 

##22. This should be the last time you have to wait. So get ready for some ultimate VLAN’ing fun. Oh Yeah! 

##23. Moment of Truth! Here is what your results should be below. VERY IMPORTANT! If you are quickly unplugging and plugging into the various ports on the router you need to release and renew your IP address on your computer. Otherwise, your NIC will cache the old IP address it just got. So, when plugging into different ports, do a release and renew of your IP address. Results should be: 

Tests: 
## Plugging into LAN4 (Actual port on the router itself) should give you a 192.168.4.X address. 
## Plugging into LAN3 should give you a 192.168.3.X address. 
## Plugging into LAN2 should give you a 192.168.2.X address. 
## Plugging into LAN1 give you 192.168.1.X addresses. 
## Any port should be able to get out to the Internet. 

##24. Now, You’ve got some VLANs but everyone can talk to everyone else. You need to setup firewall scripts to prevent that. Continue on to the Firewall Scripts. 

[edit] Firewall Scripts

I had a lot of trouble getting my Firewall Scripts working. Initially, what I found on the web for setting the Asus RT-N16 did not work. I found that every page that referenced the VLAN firewall scripts appeared to be with the use of the command INPUT versus the command FORWARD. Once I got this correct the following results should occur when following the instructions below. 

End traffic results: 
## Routing will work like any common network on the LAN (192.168.1.1) 
## Clients on VLAN3 (192.168.3.1), VLAN4 (192.168.4.1), and VLAN5 (192.168.2.1) will not be able to Access the router’s IP at 192.168.1.1 via telnet, web, etc. They will be able to ping the IP. 
## Each VLAN cannot access each other or the clients that are connected through a different VLAN. For example, Clients on VLAN3 cannot access anything but other clients on VLAN3 and the Internet. 
## If a client tries to ping anyone on a different VLAN there is no response. 

##1. Plug your computer in LAN1 on the back of the router. 

##2. Open a browser (IE or Firefox, not sure about Chrome) and go to 192.168.1.1. 

##3. Go to Administration-->Commands. 

##4. Input the commands below into the Command window. You should be able to copy and paste. 

# Accept traffic into vlan5
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan5 -j ACCEPT
# Allow traffic outbound to forward from vlan5 to vlan2 (WAN)
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan5 -o vlan2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
# Disallow access to the router on vlan5 through the typical ports for management (telnet,ftp,ssh,http,https)
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan5 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 21,22,23,80,443 -j DROP
# Disallow anything on 192.168.2.X (vlan5) to communicate to the other networks
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.5.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
# Disallow anything on the bridge interface to communicate to vlan5
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan5 -j logdrop

# Accept traffic into vlan3
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan3 -j ACCEPT
# Allow traffic outbound to forward from vlan3 to vlan2 (WAN)
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan3 -o vlan2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
# Disallow access to the router on vlan3 through the typical ports for management (telnet,ftp,ssh,http,https)
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan3 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 21,22,23,80,443 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.5.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
# Disallow anything on the bridge interface to communicate to vlan3
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan3 -j logdrop

# Accept traffic into vlan4
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan4 -j ACCEPT
# Allow traffic outbound to forward from vlan4 to vlan2 (WAN)
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan4 -o vlan2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
# Disallow access to the router on vlan4 through the typical ports for management (telnet,ftp,ssh,http,https)
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan4 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 21,22,23,80,443 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 -d 192.168.5.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
# Disallow anything on the bridge interface to communicate to vlan4
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan4 -j logdropic into vlan5
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan5 -j ACCEPT

##5. Click on Save Firewall. 

##6. Go to Administration-->Management 

##7. Click on Reboot Router. 

You should now have an Asus RT-N16 with Firewall scripts to prevent VLANs from accessing other VLANs. 

Categories: Switch | Interfaces | Firewall | Asus guides

Attachments
KillNetflix.JPG

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:00 am

Would you happen to know what model or firmware the TV (or whatever the LED40) is?

Some of the earlier devices had some really bad DLNA implementations that may have been fixed with a firmware update.

Only problem is that if the device is not yours, and the FW update fails or breaks some other functionality that the tenant is depending on they may be a little upset.
Time is on my side.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:21 pm

I'll start posting what I have collected on the LED40. I ran netstat -abf 5 > activity.txt (as you guys probably know) shows all connections and listening ports and outputs to a txt file. The LED40 shows up using port :7676 and :9080 ScreenCap included LED40 in red. Coincidentally, I am running WMC Server on the HTPC on port :9080

EDIT:

I ran this from workstation T7500 (192.168.1.123) Fresh build Win7
The HTPC is M4A78PRO (192.168.1.13)
Attachments
Port9080.JPG
Port7676.JPG
Led40Port7676and9080.JPG
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.