Considering an HP MediaSmart

Talk about setting up your home network.
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Considering an HP MediaSmart

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 pm

My current "server' is actually just an old dell desktop will hard drives stuffed inside any way I could fit them so I feel a need to do something about this. I have been looking at HP mediasmart PCs on ebay but before I buy, I want to make sure that it will run WHS 2011, and I won't have any performance issues because of the machine's age. I don't plan to transcode any content or let it out of my LAN even. Will this machine work for my needs? Can I upgrade some components if necessary, and How do I Install a fresh OS on a server that has no video out?

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:24 pm

I found a refurb ex490 on ebay for less than a hundred bucks and grabbed it. it looks brand new, and the only problem i found with it is that it was missing hard drives, and one drive tray. I was lucky enough to find a tray on ebay for fifteen bucks (I guess this is an extremely rare occurance) so that wasn't bad. Installing an OS on the PC was a real PITA because it doesn't have a video out of any type on the case. There is an empty connector on the motherboard though so i picked up a homemade video cable just for these PCs (i don't have the time right now to make my own), and installed WHS 2011 on it. I added Stablebit drive pool, and drive scanner, threw my hard drives in the machine, and I'm happy with it so far!! If anyone is considering one of these do research about how difficult it might be to install WHS v1 or 2011 on the machine. I cheated and got a debug cable.